Super Contributor

Re: UPDATE: My hyperthyroid kitty

Well, we're back from the new vet with a plan in action.  She recommended the radioactive iodine treatment since Allison is still young and otherwise healthy.  Medicating isn't an option for us as she is allergic to it.  We could do the special diet, but that isn't as precise, obviously, since it has to be consumed, regularly and completely.

We're fortunate to live just a few hours from Cornell University, and that's where we'll be going. 

I like the new vet and office staff, they were right on time and very welcoming and informative.  In fact, they showed me the lab results, and Allison is very early in her hyperthyroidism as her level in only 5.4.  Looks like we caught it early and the odds are in our favor that their isn't other organ damage.

Thank you to everyone who commented for you your info and support!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Trusted Contributor

Our cat Pearl did pass at age 17, she had hyperthyroidism, but she did very well on her meds, and lived several years beyond the original diagnosis. You couldnt even tell she was sick after a while, so I'm praying that your baby does well with the treatment.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you're happy with the new Vet.  It sounds like the radioactive iodine treatment is just what Allison needs.  I hope it goes well.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole Sorry it took awhile for me to answer.  I spent most of the night in the emergency room (the Drs THOUGHT I had pneumonia and then blood clot, etc.  None of them but they MRI(ed) and X-rayed and blood checked me up the watzoo!  Ha!  At the end didn't even give me any medicine.  I'm like "I'm 71 in a few days I don't think I have to worry about becoming immune to antiobiotics".  Whatever!

So, about my Bill.  Like you, the Vet was checking him out because I wanted his teeth cleaned.  One of my best friends is the Vet's nurses so it makes everything easier.  I totally trust my Vet.

Anyway, during the blood work (like you) his thyroid was overactive.  The Vet said we can try will pills or liquid in his food but I've had a lot of my patients get this theraphy done with only good results.  He said the problem with the pills or liquid (my daughter did the liquid on food) is it's a guessing game, (i.e. too little, too much, etc.)  He said he thought the iodine route was best.

As far as we can tell Bill is around 6 or 7 (like your boy).  He's an orange Tabby.  It cost me $1,600 paid up front at the time when you bring them in.  It was supposed to be $1,700 but due to my age (swear to you) they discounted $100.  Whoopee!

My friend and I carried him in (I use a hard carrier anyway but I think they requested it (can't remember).  They give them the shot that morning and watch him (for a total of 4 days).  On the 4th day I had to pick him up.  I was to use rubber gloves when handling the cat litter and he was to be separate from the other cat (Katie) for a few days.  The cat litter had to be put in a sealed bag and stored in a sealed container for several days (can't remember exactly these numbers).  I was not to let him sit on my lap for longer than a few minutes at a time for several days and no touching him with bare hands.  (He is radioactive).

It's a pain but I guess it was worth it.  Of course (being a boy) he started complaining and Dr x-rayed him and said he had an inflamed pancreas and (of course) a kidney infection.  Long story short.  We tried one special order cat food and he still got an infection and his pancreas was acting up (he just won't drink water for love or money).  That would have been so much easier. 

The first prescription wet food didn't work so now he eats another kind of prescription wet food and X my fingers seems to be doing well.  It must not (to him) have much smell because I have to touch it to his face to get him to eat it (drives me crazy).  My other cat (girl/Katie) eats regular wet cat food (Sheba).  He doesn't seem to bother her's although that's what he also used to eat just fine.

His crystals in his kidneys is because boy cats have smaller uretha tubes than girls and Bill just won't drink ANY water, (hence, the wet food).

I had to have Vet's ofc wire to Chewy prescription for wet canned food for them to fill it.  He was in a lot of pain (pancreas) at first and upset me.  He fell and bruised his hip so my friend had to give him pain shots for a short time.

Fingers crossed he seems to be good.  I worry about his weight because this food is high in calories.  I don't remember much about his T4 stuff.  It was a few months back in the summer.

It might be cheaper where you are.  I live in the Northern Va area where everything is stupid expensive (a few miles from Washington, DC near Fairfax County, Va.

The Vet said none of his other patients had pancreas issues like Bill (he's an old time Vet and has treated many of my cats over maybe 25 or more years, so I totally trust him.  He gave me a shoulder to cry on when my husband died and so on.  He's a really good guy so I believe what he says, plus, like I said, my dear friend who helped me get Bill and Katie is his very long time nurse.

She even picks them up at my house on her way into work at 6:30AM and doesn't even wake me and brings them back on her way home!  I pay them when I go out sometime.

I hope this helps you.  I read where boy cats often have kidney and bladder problems because (like Vet said) their uretha (sp) tube is small and some cats hate water which is the best thing they can do for it.

If I can help you further, don't hesitate to let me know.  His paperwork is burried somewhere in all of my papers.  Hope I answered most of your questions.

My daughter's cat died about 10 months ago but she was close to 16 or so years old.  Just old age.  My son-in-law fed her and squirted this liquid on her food and she at it fine.  My daughter said it was a guessing game but it seems to have worked out.  Her cat was older when it all began anyway.

I'd do it again if it helped him and it seems to have helped him but frankly, he seemed fine to me before.  He's always been a nut job (climbing, etc) he's just beginning to start getting into a lot of trouble again, but maybe because he's getting old(er) he's a little less crazy acting.

Go on line and google some words and read people's responses with it.  A lot of people couldn't afford that much much (understandable) and for some the guessing game (I guess worked).  I don't have the patience to do it plus I worry about what Bill would be going through.

I had my thyroid removed maybe 2 or so years ago so I know a little about how all of it feels.  I must take medication for the rest of my life or I'll die plain and simple.  Not a big deal for a human as a lot of people take thyroid medicine (both of my daughters do) one has 1/2 thyroid and the other has a whole one but has some growths.  The one that had 1/2 removed had (growing somewhere, it didn't show) a growth the size of an orange (swear to you) that they removed.  Seems strange and I wouldn't believe it but that's what the surgeon told me.  Nothing showed outward.  Afterward she said she could breathe better (gee! do ya think?)  Ha!

Let me know if I can help you in any way.  I know when our furbabies hurt they're just like family to us.  I'll be praying for you and your baby.  I'm sure whatever you decide will be best for you, your baby and family.  Not an easy decision.

Please let us know how it goes and what you decide.  I'd google something and read what other's say, I did.

Fondly, Annabelle/Linda & furbaby (Bill).

Super Contributor

Thank you for your response and advice @Annabellethecat66 !  I've already made the appointment for the treatment.  Cornell calls it I-131.  It's not until February so I've got a little more time to save up for it.  The price range they gave me is the same as yours was.  Not what I expected to be spending on (I'm saving for my kitchen remodel) but I feel strongly that this is what I want to do.  My kitty is a female and she's very good about consuming her water, both my girls are actually.  I'm lucky with that. 

I'll keep you posted when the time draws near. 

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole Thanks for letting me know what you decided.

It is expensive isn't it?  I guess we'll do anything for our babies.  I feel like you do.  I just couldn't see trying to get the dosage right and not knowing.  Just thinking about Bill suffering was upsetting.

As I said, I had to have my thyroid removed so I have some idea of how difficult it can be when it goes wacky (is that a word)  Ha!

Take care and I'll be thinking of you and your furbabies.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda