Respected Contributor

Re: My helper...continued...

I vote for innocent, look at that precious face! 

I had a tree fall down suspiously when I had cats.  My other half tied it to a hook in the ceiling (like those for hanging plants), and attached it with fishing line and never had another one fall.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

#GUILTY until proven innocent

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I vote for innocent, look at that precious face! 

I had a tree fall down suspiously when I had cats.  My other half tied it to a hook in the ceiling (like those for hanging plants), and attached it with fishing line and never had another one fall.  

@CAcableGirl2

Yes, he does have a precious face, but there's no missing the defiant look in his eyes and expression, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KitTkat Your cute picture and post brought back memories of our cats climbing the trees every single Christmas.

It got so bad (knocking over the fully decorated trees) my late husband would (with fishing wire) tie it to the wall!  We'd put up two trees.  One downstairs in the rec room and one upstairs in the living room.

At first just the one in the living room would mysteriously fall over, he finally tied it to the wall (the hole in the wall so small it was difficult to see otherwise).  Then one Christmas day we came downstairs to a fully decorated tree laying across the presents.  It killed my poor husband but he put small nails in the panelled rec room (again with the fishing wire) and it took care of the falling tree.

Ever since 2 years after we married we always had a few rescued cats.  They'd find us, just show up on the front porch or back enclosed porch.  We figured they were used to climbing trees and since we always had fresh cut trees, well I guess they figured it was their 'duty' to climb them.

Back then much of the tree was decorated with macaroni noodles and stuff the girls had made at school.  The balls weren't heirloom (and only a few broke) so it was more funny than anything.

Thanks for sharing something that reminded me of fun times at our house.  I haven't thought about that in years.

Have a wonderful Christmas and keep your stories coming.  

One day I'll post some of Bill's (the orange Tabby) and Jack and Fabio's crazy antics over the years.  Crazy times, crazy cats.  They are a lot of fun....aren't they?

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I loved your story! I guess we should have learned from experience since this isn't the first time that the tree toppled over. Junior is 7, but he has younger siblings that are 6. On a side note, the momma cat was feral,  she had Junior and his littermates on our back porch and then a year later she had another batch in our garage. We couldn't catch her to get her fixed until the garage kids were born. Anyway, the garage kids were pretty young at Christmas and we couldn't keep them out of the tree. They climbed it until it fell over. That was 6 years ago, and the tree has been safe until this morning. It is now tied to the railing with electric fence wire to ensure it's safety. Living in the Pacific northwest, there are Christmas trees readily available everywhere, so we still get a fresh tree and one of my tasks is to make sure there are plenty of branches right together at the base to try to prevent cats climbing up it, and this year I thought it was cat proof, but no. Junior is such a big boy that if he wanted to, he could probably just stand up and push the tree over. I guess I'll never know what happened, but at least I can laugh about it now.😸

Trusted Contributor

So Junior's verdict got changed today. I think he is guilty. 🙀 I caught Junior standing on his hind legs into the tree and he was crunching some of the bottom limbs. The whole tree was shaking. Junior weighs about 18 lbs. It was a good thing the tree is attached to the rail or we might have had another wreck. Poor Junior. He has never been this crazy during the Christmas season. 😸

Esteemed Contributor

@KitTkat, Junior looks just like my Trixie, who is very sweet, so I think he was seriously surprised and definitely not guilty.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!