Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

My 14 y/o K-9 has been diagnosed with bad knees.   Was hoping it was just arthritis in the hips, which she has also

She's normal in every other way, it's heartbreaking to see her slowly lose her mobility.   I doubt I'll opt for surgery.   I've never had a dog die from old age.    I'm 64, so the 2 of us "old ladies" will make it best we can together as long as we can.

She's a wonderful dog, black lab named Kizzi.    Trust me, she wore those knees out in much happier days.   She loved to run.

Sorry to hear that about Kizzi. It is definitely tough watching them age & have difficulties. We had to build Sadie (13) a ramp from her doggie door to the yard...the steps became too difficult.

All you can do is love her and help her along so she's comfortable. 🐾

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@software wrote:

My 14 y/o K-9 has been diagnosed with bad knees.   Was hoping it was just arthritis in the hips, which she has also

She's normal in every other way, it's heartbreaking to see her slowly lose her mobility.   I doubt I'll opt for surgery.   I've never had a dog die from old age.    I'm 64, so the 2 of us "old ladies" will make it best we can together as long as we can.

She's a wonderful dog, black lab named Kizzi.    Trust me, she wore those knees out in much happier days.   She loved to run.

Sorry to hear that about Kizzi. It is definitely tough watching them age & have difficulties. We had to build Sadie (13) a ramp from her doggie door to the yard...the steps became too difficult.

All you can do is love her and help her along so she's comfortable. 🐾

That is so sweet that you have a ramp!

I have one also but I need another smaller one.

I've been thinking today how I can rig up one quickly for her.

She stands and she walks -- very gingerly-- but she can't climb stairs, obviously.

But I have 1 step off the deck to the yard.   She can get her front feet up but the back end just won't go, I have to pick her up.   She weighs about 60#.   

I've never heard her whine or cry out or wimper or anything.

Honored Contributor

I went through the bad joint period with all three of my Irish Setters....at age 13 I had to help them when going potty with a sling as their back legs did not hold them up....also put diapers on them at night when their bladders could not hold it through the night... I loved them so that I would have done anything to make them more comfortable.  It is just what you go through when loved ones get old or ill. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry that your girl has this problem.  I had a dog that had to have surgery for that when she was around 2 or 3 years old.  It's hard to see them struggling.  I had a ramp put in at one time from the doggie door to the yard.  It was great.  It's still there, although I don't need it at this time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: My girl has bad knees

[ Edited ]

I know how you feel,my oldest golden kooper is 14 1/2, having problems,but still eating will roll in the grass,so we take it as it comes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Much love and prayers for you and Kizzi