Esteemed Contributor

Re: My dogs breath is terrible!

@tends2dogs wrote:

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I've been using chrlorophyl as well. It makes their food look gross, but they don't seem to mind. :-) 

My vet gave me these chews that have an enzyme in them to try. 

Of all veggies, my dogs LOVE raw potatoes. Yes, I know some people say to never feed them raw potatoes, but I have never had a problem with upset tummies from them. My lad will actually go to the potato bin and sit there whinning for one. 

And no, I haven't noticed them eating their stool. I have never had a problem with that from these dogs. (I did have a puppy years ago that did, however! Bleck!)

Oh, and I did the raw diet, too. They loved it but my vet just about turned wrong side out when I told him I was feeding them raw.....

That's because most vets know zippidity doo dah about nutrition.  I have had vets tell me that and hooked me up with a nutritional vet.  Nutrition isn't a big part of the education that vets receive and if they are honest, they will admit it.  Selling dog food in their office is big $$$ and I bet they don't even know what is in it.  I had a vet hospital prescribe their "prescription" food for Willie because they wanted him on a limited ingredient diet.  There were over 50 ingredients listed on the label and most couldn't be pronounced.  I said thanks, but no thanks.  That is when I found a holistic vet and put him on raw......with her blessing.

BTW, Willie likes raw potatoes, too. .....full of good things!

The same is true of physicians.  And diet is BASIC to good health.  I can only shake my head.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

The people food is not the problem, veggies, meat ,chicken is good for them, by chance do they eat poop? Yes gross,but must ask.I hate prescription dog food,no matter what vets say,just read the ingredients.Try probiotics for dogs.

@goldensrbest I totally agree with you about probiotics.  I have 2 senior Chi's whose breath used to knock buzzards off a"s**t" wagon!  I did a lot of research & have used Nutra Thrive for 2 months now & it has made a vast improvement.  It's pricey but since my girls require a small amount, it is worth it for me.  
                  4C1A461C-60B5-41F8-A27B-CA5669357E1D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

The people food is not the problem, veggies, meat ,chicken is good for them, by chance do they eat poop? Yes gross,but must ask.I hate prescription dog food,no matter what vets say,just read the ingredients.Try probiotics for dogs.

@goldensrbest I totally agree with you about probiotics.  I have 2 senior Chi's whose breath used to knock buzzards off a"s**t" wagon!  I did a lot of research & have used Nutra Thrive for 2 months now & it has made a vast improvement.  It's pricey but since my girls require a small amount, it is worth it for me.  
                  4C1A461C-60B5-41F8-A27B-CA5669357E1D.jpeg

My husband bought 3 containers of the Nutra Thrive. But the dog will not eat the food when we put it in his food. So we stopped giving it to him. Guess you have no trouble getting your dogs to eat the powder? Our dog does not have bad breath - he has trouble at the other end.

Honored Contributor

We do get our puppy's teeth cleaned twice a year.  He eats both dog & people food, but his teeth are in good health because we have always taken him to the doggy dentist.  

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@drizzellla  My girls are on wet food (missing teeth, stool issues) and they did not resist at all.  I remember there were instructions on how to slowly get finicky eaters to accept it.  I make sure it is mixed in extremely well.  My 14 yr old had bad stool issues as well but the probiotic has worked like a charm.  The bad breath/stools have improved 100+%.  But dogs are as unique as we are, it all depends!  

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@drizzellla  My girls are on wet food (missing teeth, stool issues) and they did not resist at all.  I remember there were instructions on how to slowly get finicky eaters to accept it.  I make sure it is mixed in extremely well.  My 14 yr old had bad stool issues as well but the probiotic has worked like a charm.  The bad breath/stools have improved 100+%.  But dogs are as unique as we are, it all depends!  

Thank you so much. We thought we buried it well into his wet food. But he has one excellent smeller. We used to bury pills in liverwurst and now that doesn't work.

He would pick up the liverwurst with the capsule buried in it. He will bit into it. That breaks open the capsule. The powder falls out of the capsule onto the floor. And then he will drop the liverwurst onto the floor too. And walk away.

Our guy has horrible teeth too. He must have been kept in a cage (before us). And he thought he could chew his way out. His nose, teeth and jaw bone are in bad shape. But I am so encouraged about how your girls are doing. I am going to try and see if I can sneak some Nutra Thrive into his dinner tonight. Thanks for mentioning it.

Trusted Contributor

Try chopped celery, it helps alot!

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I also disagree with the consensus that it is people food causing the problem.  My chihuahua has the worst breath after eating dog food.  If she eats good chicken or turkey, no bad breath.  

Valued Contributor

Oh yes, his teeth have been professionally cleaned by our vet.  We're on top of it.  His disease was very severe (we rescued him when he was already 10 yrs old), so the dental gel helps significantly between cleanings.  He's 14 now.

Honored Contributor

@CritterKeeper 

PetSmile is a very easy to use dental enzyme paste.  You don't even need a doggy toothbrush, just apply with your finger and it will dissolve and do what it needs to do on its own.  My dog loves the taste.

Image result for petsmile"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.