Super Contributor

Re: My dogs breath is terrible!

Check dogfoodadvisor.com

They rate most commercial dry and canned food and rate them from 1 to 5 stars with details about the nutritional and ingredient concerns or accolades. You can also sign up to receive pet food recall alerts.

I never buy pet food without checking there first. 

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you need to feed a better grade food and Hills or any other prescription dog food is NOT the answer.  There is nothing wrong with the human food you are feeding.  Carrots are like a natural tooth brush.  Green beans are a great choice. So are apples and bananas.  I feed my dog raw and he has excellent breath.  Not everyone is open to raw feeding, but I have to say it is pretty simple.  

I used to cook for my dogs and the recipe was called Spots Stew.  When I did this I had two dogs over 100 pounds and it was simple and healthy. 

If I ever have to feed my dog commercial dog food, I would buy the best canned food I could afford with the least ingredients.  I would NEVER feed kibble.  It is a myth that your dog needs kibble to clean their teeth.  My dog is 3 years old, never had kibble in his life, and has the best breath as I said before and his teeth are tartar free.  Give your dog bones to chew on.  I buy the sterilized bones from Chewy for recreational chewing and teeth cleaning.  

Probiotics is a good suggestion and the one I use is from Chewy, recommended by my vet.  I also give chlorophyll as a detox which BTW cleans the breath.  Good for people, too.

I think you can figure this out.  I wish you the best of luck.  If you get a good quality food, continue the veggies and fruit, your dog will never have to have his teeth cleaned by a vet.....something I have never had done.

All the best!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using chrlorophyl as well. It makes their food look gross, but they don't seem to mind. :-) 

My vet gave me these chews that have an enzyme in them to try. 

Of all veggies, my dogs LOVE raw potatoes. Yes, I know some people say to never feed them raw potatoes, but I have never had a problem with upset tummies from them. My lad will actually go to the potato bin and sit there whinning for one. 

And no, I haven't noticed them eating their stool. I have never had a problem with that from these dogs. (I did have a puppy years ago that did, however! Bleck!)

Oh, and I did the raw diet, too. They loved it but my vet just about turned wrong side out when I told him I was feeding them raw.....

Esteemed Contributor

The vet recommended Pepcid for my moms dog dog. Could also try a probotic to help the digestion.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I strongly recommend something called VetzLife and I get it online at PetWishPros.  I have had excellent results with this product and it also is great at keeping the teeth clean (I know you said that was not an issue).  You just cover the tip of your finger with it, then rub it on the teeth & gums.  The dog works it into the mouth and around.   Within about a week you will notice a lasting difference.  Do it daily for the first few weeks, then phase back to M,W,F, for a few weeks then twice a week and you will see lasting results - at least I did.  It also helps remove plaque and whiten teeth (but you said that was not needed in your case).  I believe you will see the results with breath you are seeking.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

Hills Science Diet for teeth -

did the trick for one of my pets - it's good nutrition and solidly crunchy for removing tartar.

Valued Contributor

My dog has gum disease and I tried the liquid Oxyfresh that you put in the water and it didn't make much difference along with brushing nightly with a vanilla flavored toothpaste.  However, Oxyfresh now makes a tooth gel that has made a huge difference for my dog.  I brush his teeth every night with it.  His breath is much better!  I would recommend trying that.  I will never be without it now.

Honored Contributor

Vets can miss abscesses caused by tartar under the gums that can't be seen.  You may be brushing their teeth, but you can't get under the gums.  

Brush my dogs' teeth every day, look beautiful, vet thought all was well, but several times during teeth cleanings the vet found teeth that were slightly loose that weren't noticeable.  Tartar loosens them. Underneath, an abscess.  

Tartar growth and abscesses are major causes of bad breath in dogs.

Honored Contributor

@Glittergal wrote:

My dog has gum disease and I tried the liquid Oxyfresh that you put in the water and it didn't make much difference along with brushing nightly with a vanilla flavored toothpaste.  However, Oxyfresh now makes a tooth gel that has made a huge difference for my dog.  I brush his teeth every night with it.  His breath is much better!  I would recommend trying that.  I will never be without it now.

@Glittergal   If your dog has gum disease he desperately needs to have his teeth cleaned by the Vet.  That's the only thing that will help the gum disease, which is painful and will only get worse.  Your brushing his teeth won't take care of it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I've been using chrlorophyl as well. It makes their food look gross, but they don't seem to mind. :-) 

My vet gave me these chews that have an enzyme in them to try. 

Of all veggies, my dogs LOVE raw potatoes. Yes, I know some people say to never feed them raw potatoes, but I have never had a problem with upset tummies from them. My lad will actually go to the potato bin and sit there whinning for one. 

And no, I haven't noticed them eating their stool. I have never had a problem with that from these dogs. (I did have a puppy years ago that did, however! Bleck!)

Oh, and I did the raw diet, too. They loved it but my vet just about turned wrong side out when I told him I was feeding them raw.....

That's because most vets know zippidity doo dah about nutrition.  I have had vets tell me that and hooked me up with a nutritional vet.  Nutrition isn't a big part of the education that vets receive and if they are honest, they will admit it.  Selling dog food in their office is big $$$ and I bet they don't even know what is in it.  I had a vet hospital prescribe their "prescription" food for Willie because they wanted him on a limited ingredient diet.  There were over 50 ingredients listed on the label and most couldn't be pronounced.  I said thanks, but no thanks.  That is when I found a holistic vet and put him on raw......with her blessing.

BTW, Willie likes raw potatoes, too. .....full of good things!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!