Regular Contributor

Re: My dog was diagnosed with diabetes

Thank yoy all for your replies.  You are great.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps the cost of the insulin and vet care is why the OP decided not to go ahead with giving the insulin. Without pet insurance  it might not be something she can  afford.  She did not mention this....

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry about your dogs diagnosis. I am a Type 1 diabetic. From my perspective it would be pure torture to not have insulin and because Type 1's have to have insulin because we don't make our own I would go into a coma and die fairly quickly. Your dog may not have it so bad yet but it will get there if you are not doing anything for the condition. Extremely high blood sugar for a period of time is painful and causes many many awful symptoms. I hope you will rethink your decision. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Perhaps the cost of the insulin and vet care is why the OP decided not to go ahead with giving the insulin. Without pet insurance  it might not be something she can  afford.  She did not mention this....

Because it's a dog they would not need as much as a human and you can get insulin cheap some places. The syringes are very inexpensive. 

Respected Contributor

One of our rescue Silkys became diabetic as he aged. I never thought I could give an injection but I loved that pup so I got over it learned how to do it fast and painless to him. Got real good at the 2 shots a day (he didn't even feel them) and always a treat after. Kept that good dog around for another 3 years and so glad we did.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 

I have been purchasing my kitties Lantus insulin pens from a Canadian pharmacy for 5 years.  They are less than 1/2 the cost of what they would be in the US.

As I mentioned in a previous post, he is 20 + years old and still getting around fine after 5 years of twice daily shots.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Lali1 

I have been purchasing my kitties Lantus insulin pens from a Canadian pharmacy for 5 years.  They are less than 1/2 the cost of what they would be in the US.

As I mentioned in a previous post, he is 20 + years old and still getting around fine after 5 years of twice daily shots.

That's wonderful that kitty is doing so well. Twenty is a pretty good run. I hope he is around a lot longer. 
Walmart also sells insulin for really reasonable prices. I saw a woman getting novolog for $25 a bottle. No insurance. I use about 2 bottles a month in my pump. For a pet one bottle should last quite a while. I used to take lantus before I started using a pump. For shots I had to use both Lantus and Novolog.