Regular Contributor

My dog was diagnosed with diabetes

My dog was just diagnosed, she's 12 , & I have decided not to give insulin shots. Anyone else have experience with this , as to possible life span, symptoms such as drinking a lot of water & needing to urinate often She also has arthritis & takes pain meds & is overweight. She's also a large dog.I'm just not ready to euthanize her, I've had her 10 years & there's only the 2 of us.My vet has agreed to go along with this. Anybody with experience with this?
Honored Contributor

Re: My dog was diagnosed with diabetes

[ Edited ]

@purrmom   I respect your decision.  However, I do want to ask you why you decided against giving insulin shots.   I fostered a dog for a couple of months who had diabetes.  His previous home wasn't giving him his insulin and had banished him to be outside (he was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel--definitely an inside dog) because he was peeing so much.

It's very easy to give insulin shots.  I got his insulin regulated and fed him prescription food.  He went on to live a normal lifespan and was very much loved.  Is there a reason you don't want to give the shots?  I was nervous about it, but it wasn't hard.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My friend adopted an old dog with diabetes and gave that creature its shot every day as long as it lived which was several years.  It was no big deal to my friend and the dog loved it because she got a treat after her shot.

I sincerely hope you dog is not suffering in any way due to lack of Insulin.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I am 82  have a lot of medical problems also & would never let her suffer.  Aside from sleeping a lot she seems happy.  Thanks for your replies.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a ton of experience with this. My 10 year old lab had diabetes and he lived to be a little over 14 and did not die of complication from it, we managed it well.

We did twice day (just before meals) glucose testing and learned to manage his insulin and he did GREAT!! There is a lot to it but if I had to do it all over again, I totally would. I knew NOTHING about diabetes when we started, he was so bad he did not even walk for 15 days, we carried him (80lbs) to go potty and held him up, we took care of him just as he would us, he got better and thrived when we thought we would lose it.

We used Vetsulin insulin and had to adjust his dose over the years however, you learn and know what to watch for.

My parents have a diabetic dog which I have helped them with, she has been diabetic for 4 years now and is almost 14, still managing well.

If you are on Facebook look up a group called: Canine Diabetes Support and Information  It is SOOO helpful, everyone will walk you through everything, they are amazing!!  If you want help, I can help you and happy to do so, I can provide you with my personal email address, I can just post it, let you grab it and then edit my post to delete it.

Our dogs are our babies and our family, we can help them, diabetes is NOT a death sentence for a dog, you just have to learn how to manage it and want to learn it is all, it can be done  Smiley Happy 

Wanted to add, if you do not give insulin, I hope your Dr explained that not giving insulin IS making her suffer and she will slowly die so, you might want to research that since w/out insulin, she is already suffering...

Trusted Contributor

@purrmomIs it possible to regulate her diabetes with a diabetic diet for dogs.  Maybe your Vet could help you.  My thoughts are with you and your furbaby.

Respected Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@purrmomIs it possible to regulate her diabetes with a diabetic diet for dogs.  Maybe your Vet could help you.  My thoughts are with you and your furbaby.

@hayseed00 Unlike humans, canine diabetes is not regulated through diet, it is not reversable the way humans is. I thought the same before I became educated on the topic. They get TYPE 1 not type 2... It would take research and reading to understand it all.

Esteemed Contributor

@purrmom 

I have experience with dogs and cats with diabetes.  Insulin shots are easy to do and you can purchase supplies and the required insulin economically. Your dog will have a far more comfortable, longer lifespan by treating with insulin.

Without it, inevitable problems begin to arise in the kidneys with frequent UTI's, heart, and overall metabolic system, plus issues with eyesight and nerve pain. I'm a diabetic too....not on insulin, but still requiring medication. I felt like I had a bad flu until my blood sugar was regulated. My pets have felt better with the insulin also....it was obvious and so easy and inexpensive to do. Less frequent urination and drinking, but also brighter and happier with very little effort on my part.

You could work with your vet to help your dog lose weight....that often can negate or lessen the need for insulin, depending on where you dog is.

Best wishes for you and your pup. Chronic conditions are manageable!

Trusted Contributor

@SandGirl  Thank you, good info to know.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@purrmom   I respect your decision.  However, I do want to ask you why you decided against giving insulin shots.   I fostered a dog for a couple of months who had diabetes.  His previous home wasn't giving him his insulin and had banished him to be outside (he was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel--definitely an inside dog) because he was peeing so much.

It's very easy to give insulin shots.  I got his insulin regulated and fed him prescription food.  He went on to live a normal lifespan and was very much loved.  Is there a reason you don't want to give the shots?  I was nervous about it, but it wasn't hard.

I just wanted to add to my post.  I had forgotten to mention that the dog that I fostered had lost his eyesight because his diabetes wasn't being managed.  He was such a sweet dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau