Esteemed Contributor

Re: My dog was diagnosed with diabetes

@purrmom  My feeling, which makes no difference to you, is that when you have a pet, it is your responsibility to do the best for that pet.  To me, that means giving your newly-diagnosed dog the insulin shots needed.  I think that it is irresponsible not to do so.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

It may not be what you want to hear OP, but you have no business keeping this dog if you are not only not willing to give regular insulin shots, but to also take regular blood readings each day to make sure you do not give too much insulin as well. The dog IS suffering, and will suffer more and more. YOU put the dog in this position as well,  by overfeeding it, making it fat, thus propelling it into diabetes and arthritis. If you are 82 and cannot care for this dog due to your own physical limitations, the kindest thing to do is give the dog up or put it to sleep. And, do NOT get another pet if you cannot properly care for one. Overfeeding, lack of exercise, and refusing to treat a serious illnesss when one arises is not what a good pet parent does. I am sorry if that is harsh, but your dog's well-being is far more important than your feelings right now, and your ****** vet should say so. I know this animal is your friend, but it depends on you for everything. It cannot speak and tell you when it hurts, or how bad things are getting. It trusts you to take care of it. It gives you unconditional love. It is up to you to do what is right for a friend that loyal, and not just what is best for yourself.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@purrmom I don't have any experience with diabetes in dogs, but I do know how sad it is to lose a beloved dog, especially these days when pets are our only companions.   

I don't know why you and your vet decided against insulin, but you clearly love your dog and don't want her to suffer.  

It is such a tough decision when we don't want our pets to suffer and we don't want to lose them either.   

Why kind of dog is she?  12 years old is pretty good for a large dog.   

Esteemed Contributor

@purrmom 

I wrote some thoughts earlier about my experiences with pets and diabetes, but forgot something important: it's heartrending when you have medical problems yourself and your aging companion who you love dearly develops them too. It can be overwhelming.

My husband and I have been through the paces also--and we still struggle due to some .orthopedic challenges needing surgery and a pet with special needs. Sometimes it takes encouragement and sometimes it takes a village.

By this, I mean: is it finances, fear over not being able to give the medicine, or feeling you may need help to have the confidence to give your pup the insulin? We've been in situations, for example, when we had to rely on vet techs coming to the house to help us administer meds for a time, for example, in an emergency. 

Please reach out to us with your real fears and see if we can help.

Contributor

I had a cat that had diabetes.  She was 10 when first diagnosed  and lived another 4 years with daily insulin shots.  You say you do not want to euthanize  your dog and you do not want her to suffer, but she will suffer... thirst, hunger, weight loss, frequent urination,  blindness, weakness and possible seizures .  That is not quality of life.  

Our decisions have consequences; our pets trust  us to make the right ones.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zukie 

My kitty was 15 when diagnosed and is now 20+ 

He's gotten twice daily shots all those years and seems fine.  Yes, he's quite old and not as active, but those shots have kept him going all this time.

I was scared at first, but without them, he'd have suffered.  

Cannot imagine just not doing it. 

Contributor

@Witchy Woman ,

I was scared also.  The first time I had to give my girl her shot, she was drinking water out of the bathroom faucet.  She probably wondered why I walked in and out of the bathroom five times, with the syringe in hand , working up the courage.  After that first shot,  it wasn't always easy but it was something that I did because she needed me and she was my girl.  Like you, I could not imagine not doing it. 

Respected Contributor

She will only get sicker.  Please keep a sharp eye on her and euthanize her when SHE is ready. 

Trusted Contributor

I will echo what others have said: Giving injections is not hard once someone shows you how.  I had a cat with diabetes several years ago, and she lived comfortably several years with daily insulin.  Now many years later, I lost most of my pancreas in 2013 and immediately became a diabetic myself. Without insulin, especially when I first started taking it and would forget, I feel very ill.  I do not know if a pet would feel the same, but the feeling is not pleasant. Good luck with your fur baby.

Honored Contributor

@purrmom wrote:

I am 82  have a lot of medical problems also & would never let her suffer.  Aside from sleeping a lot she seems happy.  Thanks for your replies.

Have the dogs insulin delivered. She will suffer if she doesn't get it. She will be happier too. Even if you have medical problems, you can just give the shot.