Respected Contributor

Re: My dog was diagnosed with diabetes

@NickNack  95% of all diabetic dogs will go blind within the first year of diagnosis, my boy went blind after 16 months, he managed very well since he knew the home, we did not move things and actually as odd as it sounds he didn't miss a beat, he would run into things sometimes but not often and he moved slower since he couldn't see, they adapt so quickly and far better than we do, I cried so hard when he went blind and then I saw that he was fine, I took it harder than he did  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@purrmom wrote:

I am 82  have a lot of medical problems also & would never let her suffer.  Aside from sleeping a lot she seems happy.  Thanks for your replies.

@purrmom 

With all due respect, if the fact that you're 82 and have a lot of medical problems yourself is the reason why you're withholding medical treatment for diabetes in your dog, you need to turn him over to someone who can and will help him.

You ARE making her suffer, whether you want to recognize it or not.  

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been through this exact thing and agree with everyone who is encouraging you to reconsider.  The insulin shots are very easy to give.  My dog never even flinched once.  Also, our vet recommended getting the insulin at Walmart and it was $25 for more than month's supply.  

I will definitely say that giving my dog insulin kept him alive and well for another 5 years. 

Best of luck 

Respected Contributor

Why on earth would you think that not providing medical support is any kind of a solution?

Yes, you may be older, but you need to take responsibility for your pet, or rehome her.

Euthanasia is NOT an appropriate response for diabetes.

First, weight does play a role in dog health, as well as age.

Weight affects the heart, the kidneys, and can have an impact on joints to cause arthritis.

Since she is already diagnosed, start her on insulin IMMEDIATELY.

She is suffering!

Also, work to monitor your dog's diet so she can become more healthy.

I had my first cat diagnosed with diabetes back in 1985, when vet medicine was a lot more primitive. She was 14 1/2, and lived for 5 more years until almost 20, with daily insulin shots.  Since then I have had another cat with diabetes that I also gave shots to for multiple years.  We always kept a little syrup on hand in case there were any insulin shock issues.

There are so many veterinary medical advances that almost anything can be treated.  Right now my 15 1/2 year old cat has internal cancer.  He has already received 7 chemotherapy treatments and is hanging in there. He needs medicine three times a day at home. I never give up on my pets unless I know I have done everything possible the best that can be done.

Honored Contributor

@purrmom wrote:
My dog was just diagnosed, she's 12 , & I have decided not to give insulin shots. Anyone else have experience with this , as to possible life span, symptoms such as drinking a lot of water & needing to urinate often She also has arthritis & takes pain meds & is overweight. She's also a large dog.I'm just not ready to euthanize her, I've had her 10 years & there's only the 2 of us.My vet has agreed to go along with this. Anybody with experience with this?

If your 'so called "Vet" agreed to go along with NOT treating your poor dog for a medical problem like diabetes, because she already suffers from arthritis and is overweight, they are not much of a VET in my eyes.

So, since she's already suffering from other medical problems, let's just let her suffer more from an added one?????

Neither one of you deserve to have control of the care/treatment for this poor dog.

Maybe the next medical problem you have, it'll be decided not to bother treating you for it, after all, you're already 82 and already have other medical issues, right??

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@purrmom 

Yes, we have had experience with dog(s) with diabetes.

Our first experience was with a Lab mix who had gotten a little overweight, and he was seven years old.

Our vet walked us through the whole process--we gave him a shot of insulin twice a day.  Both my husband and I were working full time, but we followed through.

The vet told us to keep karo syrup with us at all times in case he ever had a low blood sugar and might have a seizure.  That did happen a couple of times, but even then, the dog would pull through once we put the syrup on his gums.

He lived another seven years; he died at age fourteen. To be honest, he was a normal dog as far as acitivity went.

He loved to run on the beach, and he traveled with us everywhere.  We miss him very much still!

If you can believe it, we then had a full Lab who got Cushings disease with diabetes.  He also got insulin shots every day, and he

lived until he was almost fifteen.  His last few months were tough because he would get a little disoriented, and maybe he had a little dimentia as well.  We never let him get overweight, but he still got Cushings.

We bought our insulin at Walmart which was the least expensive place.  We got needles that were fine,  and the dogs never seemed to feel the shots.

I realize this is your decision, but diabetes does not have to be a death sentence.  It does take work, but I can atest to the fact that

it was worth it to give the insulin.

Valued Contributor

@purrmom 

I've had 2 cats with diabetes. The first I lost because I did not recognize the symptoms, and she was too far gone to save. This nearly killed me. The second I caught on to quickly. I administered insulin twice daily until she passed. Personally, my feeling is you should give up your dog to someone who will care for her if you will not. 

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@purrmomIs it possible to regulate her diabetes with a diabetic diet for dogs.  Maybe your Vet could help you.  My thoughts are with you and your furbaby.

@hayseed00 

If that were her "furbaby" she wouldn't allow it to suffer by not treating her, regardless of her excuses.

Trusted Contributor

I did want to add, our first dog went blind only two days after diagnosis.  Our vet gave us a referral to a canine opthamologist.

We opted to have artificial lenses put in, and he was able to see after that.  It was expensive.  Our vet told us dogs get around ok

blind, and that their sense of smell is so powerful instead. He had been bumping into things and was such an active dog, we felt it was a good decision.

Trusted Contributor

It breaks my heart to hear that you choose not to treat your dog's diabetes. You cannot treat diabetes with a change of dog food. My Springer Spaniel has been diabetic for two years. We get his insulin and syringes at Sam's Club. It costs $36 every month and a half. He gets an injection in the morning and at night. It's very easy to administer the injections. If you decide not to treat, expect numerous UTI's, accidents in the house, lethargy, shakiness, weakness and a miserable sick dog. Perhaps if you're not up to this you should re-home your dog. Diabetes does not go away. Your dog will just get sicker and sicker. Then you will have bigger and bigger vet bills. I have no respect for a Veterinarian who would agree to no treatment. Maybe the more humane thing to do would be to put your dog down, rather than let her suffer. And she will suffer.