Respected Contributor

@chiclet I researched the life expectancy of a peekapoo. It is 10-15 years. Your little guy has lived longer than most of his breed. Look at his condition, his behavior, and his lack of progress. It is time; the one we all dread. My sympathy to you. This decision is difficult and yours is compounded by your husband's reluctance. I hope all of you can find peace.

Trusted Contributor

My dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis at 5 years of age. My vet put him on Hills Science Diet Digestive Health dry food. NO TABLE FOOD!  It was always a struggle to entice him to eat because the food was so bland. We would go a week or two with him having an appetite and then all of a sudden, he wouldn't want to eat. At those times, the vet said I could try boiled chicken breasts. He was a black lab, so, not a small dog.

I lost him last in January due to a large tumor on his spleen. It was shocking - he was fine one day, running, barking, playing with his toys.....and the next day so sick he was throwing up and obviously feeling very bad. I assumed it was the pancreatitis flaring up, but, it wasn't. His bloodwork just 6 months prior had given no indication of cancer. I just couldn't believe it.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

Pancreatitis is painful, even when the case is not 'severe'.  The mortality rate is high, when it gets this bad. And, with this little guy, age is not on his side. Eating increases the pain. Your fur baby has probably made the association. 

You say he's always been a light eater, but overweight, which you don't understand. It's possible that he's simply bloated. I've seen people with acute, end of life pancreatitis, that look pregnant. It's the inflammation and accumulation of fluids around the body core. 

I hope you've been given special diet recommendations and it's important to follow them. Low fat diet is usually recommended. 

Your fur baby will let you know when it's time, if you think only of him, and his suffering, not the horrible sense of personal loss that you will feel. I have been there many times. We have to be strong for them. 

I know it's tough. Hang in there. You'll do the right thing, just as you already have in providing such excellent medical attention and care. Sadly we can't keep them forever. Wish we could.

Respected Contributor

Re: My dog has pancreatitis

[ Edited ]

So sorry for you and your poor baby.  As hard as it is it sounds like it's time.  It sounds like he's very uncomfortable.  I'm sure you don't want him to suffer.   (((HUGS)))

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet I am so sorry that you are facing this with your furbaby. My prayers for a peaceful outcome are with you and your hubby.

Unselfish love.JPG

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Valued Contributor

So sorry about the diagnosis.  I have a thirteen year old dog who has had several pancreatitis attacks since her younger years.  She was hospitalized three times.  Treatment was IV and no food.  At home she eats boneless skinless chicken breasts boiled in a pot of water with bone broth and vegetables and barley.  No fat at all is the main diet.  Although a senior now she is fine...no issues for many years.  I will not say she is never sick but I just remove all food for 24 hours and let her rest.  Then I usually start her out on Under The Weather chicken and rice with electrolytes for about two days.  Your fur baby is a senior so I hope all works out.

Valued Contributor

My dog felt better when he took Cerenia for the stomach pain associated with pancreatitis.  He was also on a medication that coated his stomach (I can't remember the name).  We had to be extremely careful with foods so they wouldn't cause a flare, and careful to keep him hydrated because he got diarrhea often because of the disease. The disease kept flaring up and then calming down.  I kept him comforted with gentle massage and lots of attention until we made the decision to let him go.  We had to let him go when he refused all food for 2 days and suddenly couldn't walk (he also had Cushings disease and diabetes).  He made it to age 19 though.

Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry you are going through this, and so sorry your little fur baby is so sick. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

"Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful."
Esteemed Contributor

My sympathy to all your family.

One of my fur babies suffered from this for a bit too.

Respected Contributor

First I want to thank all of you for responding with kindness and wisdom.  When we left the vet we were loaded up with Science Diet food both dry and wet both of which he would smell and walk away.  Yesterday afternoon I decided to give him some white rice with a little fat free broth on it.  I told my husband he would never eat it but worth a try.  He gobbled it all down.  We watched with our mouth hanging open. Later I gave him some with a little boiled ground up chicken and he gobbled that down too.  

I am not saying he is well but that was a positive step.