Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the dog that consumed your thoughts is not the dog you were meant to have.  My beagle rescue was older than I had wanted. Her coloring was not what I expected. However, Maddie has been the most wonderful dog we have ever known. She just had cancer surgery and we'll be speaking to the veterinary oncologist on Monday. I pray we can give her a good quality of life for a while longer.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest 

I think you need to listen to your heart.  You say you are attracted to this one - which tells me this one is special.  You did not feel this way about other dogs that were options for you.

I would persue this one if I were you.  and I wouldn't also be so attached to having a certain breed or a certain look.  But that's just me.

I do think though you should take this to the next step - can you do a meet and greet?  See how you feel in person? 

Esteemed Contributor

I think with dogs it can be a "mutal attraction" kind of thing.  I definately felt something, a special connection, to all the dogs we got.  And I think they picked us too.  Good luck with  your choice.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

If you're attracted to this one, follow your heart!Heart

It won't steer you wrong.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Have you considered a golden mix?  I'm sure there has to be shelter options that have some golden in them, rather than waiting for a purebred.

Also, I'd look at the qualities in the goldens that you are so attracted to, then look at other breeds with the same characteristics.  Don't look at their size, coloring, etc., just the personality similarities.

All that said, as others have already mentioned, this is really a question only you can answer in your own heart.

Honored Contributor

Just remember that goldens are retrievers and Aussies are herders....very different kinds of behavior bred into each.

Respected Contributor

I prefer American Eskimos--lively, energetic, loyal and sweet dogs with loads of white fur.  Currently we have a girl.  They are smart and easy to train, but love attention.

DH likes Border Collies and Australian shepherds.  Curremtly we have an Aussie boy--when they are young they are very high energy, and take a strong and repetitive hand to train them well.  They like to explore and run.  They are working dogs and prefer to be busy, rather than just act as companions.  They need room to move.

Have you personally met and interacted with the dog?  

Have you spoken to the breeder about the puppy's personality?

Purebred puppies these days are becoming very expensive, so make sure it is the right fit!

(I only bring puppies to my home, never full grown dogs, as I have cats as well, and I need the dogs to adapt to the diverse household.)

Honored Contributor

If you know you want a golden, hold out for one.

If I got another cat no question but that it would be a Siamese.  Sometimes you just want what you want and that's ok! 

Honored Contributor

I am passionate about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Over the years, I got three from a breeder and my last one came from a family that decided to give her up.

I can tell you that adopting a puppy is like adopting a child.  You can't just decide you want one and pick it up the next day.

You will have to contact several good breeders and interview them until you find one that you feel will produce the best pup at a price you can afford and one who does proper testing on their adults before they breed them.  Then, go on their wait list for upcoming litters.  You might have to place a deposit.

I had to wait almost a year for my first one and about 7 months for the second.

My third one was already close to 7 weeks old ywhen I contacted her breeder, so I didn't have to wait very long.

My fourth was promised to me in March by a local family, but they didn't turn her over to me until June.  I thought they changed their mind.

Give it more time if you really want a Golden. They can't be manufactured and the numbers of puppies in a litter can't be controlled.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

Maybe the dog that consumed your thoughts is not the dog you were meant to have.  My beagle rescue was older than I had wanted. Her coloring was not what I expected. However, Maddie has been the most wonderful dog we have ever known. She just had cancer surgery and we'll be speaking to the veterinary oncologist on Monday. I pray we can give her a good quality of life for a while longer.

@VivianFlorimond, I hope that Maddie will be making a 100% 

full recovery.  This is such a hard time for you, and I hope you let everyone know how your sweet Maddie is doing.