Honored Contributor

I have looked, contacted, prayed, hoped, for a golden pup, so far not worked out, very disappointed,  trying to think this out,  i can get other breeds, turned down two, i could had got, now another one has come my way same breed, mini Australian shepherd,  i will be 69 dec,26th, must say i am attracted to this one,  i am asking for your opinion's.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I don't know where you live @goldensrbest  but on Petfinder.com there are three pages of puppy and young Goldens and Golden mixes.  

Honored Contributor

Have you tried breeders?  You'll find local breeders at Golden Retriever Club of America.  

Where to Find a Golden - Golden Retriever Club of America (grca.org)

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest.  I've had 2 mini Aussies, now known as Miniature American Shepherds, both rescues.  I love them to death but must say, theyre VERY active and very smart, making their ownership quite challenging.  You're always trying to stay one step ahead of them both physically and mentally.

I'll say it again, I think you should consider a collie, either rough or smooth coated.  Wonderful, sweet personality like a Golden.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. And often the answer is found in the question. I don't know how long you have been looking but surely there are some golden retrievers to be had somewhere. Often the dog you are supposed to have finds you or you happen upon them. Good Luck with your search. 

Esteemed Contributor

As long as you do not go in with expectation of this one being like a golden.  This breed will have very different traits and your expectaions will also need to be different.  Compaing the two is setting the pup up for failure.  If you are looking for something different, then go for it.  If you want another golden than keep waiting.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Imho stop looking for a specific breed!

When you're openminded, sooner or later the 'right one' will come along - of that, I am sure!  The 'right one' may not be a golden, may not be a she/he, whatever you've got in your head; may not only be a breed you've never entertained, a mix you haven't considered; a color/appearance you hadn't imagined.  The 'right one' will be the right one your furbaby on the rainbow bridge picked out for you, chosen by the one looking over you, loving you and thus knowing that you and your pup will be the perfect match - a match made in heaven!

Don't plan it, et it happen, @goldensrbest .

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a Golden owner, never have had one ( although I see the appeal).  One negative, from my observation, is that they don't appear to be very long lived and frequently have hip issues. In the thirteen years I've lived in my neighborhood, I have friends who are now on their 4 th Golden.  They, obviously, need to be walked.  I favor smaller breeds.  DH and I have owned from 2-4 doxies at a time and, although the breed can have back issues ( we have never had this issue ).  We love them, and they'd rather be with us on couch or bed all the time and we don't walk them ( just let them out in yard several times a day to play with each other).  They are an easy breed.  Another easy (and smart) breed is miniature poodles ( but they need grooming).  Doxies  and poodles are long lived ( frequently 15- 19 years) and would be pretty easy to rehome if you are no longer able to care for them.  My point is that there are many wonderful breeds if you expand your horizons.

Trusted Contributor

Please do a search for golden rescues. There are rescues specific to any breed you want in almost every state. Consider getting a dog about a year old instead of a puppy. They are usually house-trained and fostered and the rescue group can tell you if they get along with other dogs, children, need extra loving etc.  Lot less trouble than a puppy.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

All I can think of, is to show you a pic of my lost love, meet my mini Aussie, Hayly, she's standing underneath our coffee table on our enclosed deck., such a sweet and smart soul.Heart

Picture_0002.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.