Valued Contributor

My 12 year old healthy female cat, her one ear has lost fur at the back about the size of a quarter. A few days later, now there's a spot on her eyebrow area doing same thing. Time for a vet visit. Has anyone ever seen this before or know what it might be? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: My cats ear is losing fur

[ Edited ]

Any possibility she is in heat?  Hormonal changes or variances can cause spotty hair loss. 

Does your cat spend time outdoors?  Fleas or mites will cause bald spots as the skin reacts to the castoff from the fleas/mites, especially their saliva. 

Of course, get her to a vet. Meanwhile read this: 

hope she's doing better real soon. 

Removed link to another retailer

Respected Contributor

is the cat scratching at the ear?  Could be an ear infection.  Or a skin issue.   A vet visit should get it straightened out.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Yes, sounds to me as if she has some kind of ear infection or mites.  She's probably scratching the ear too much.

Trusted Contributor

Time to visit the vet, could be an infection or ear mites. Is there an odor? Do you see her fussing or pawing at her ear? Our old fella is losing fur in splotches, in front of his ear and at the back of his neck. I treat it with Vetericyn Plus, I believe it is Rx only and I keep it on hand to treat topical issues, but if it is mites or an infection she may need other medications as well.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

Would think this is from back foot scratching or front foot rubbing.  I would take a trip to the vet.

Super Contributor

@KittySoftPaws  My bunny had a quarter sized bald spot on the back of her neck, soon after we got her. My vet checked a scraping of skin under a microscope and didn't see anything. Wisely, he treated her for mites anyway. Very soon the hair grew back.

Valued Contributor

Thank you Ladies!