Valued Contributor

My cat is too funny sometimes

My cat likes to do the "hunting" time racing around the house a couple of times a day. Sometimes she just runs back & forth in the living room to the kitchen several times. Other times she will do the same, but also runs up and down the stairs, thru the LR into the kitchen and jumps onto the sill of the kitchen window and then goes in reverse, thru the LR back up the stairs, back down the stairs and into the kitchen onto the window sill. The other day, she got going so fast, that when she ran into the kitchen, and  jumped on the window sill she had so much momentum going that she kind of hung on the sill, fell off into her water bowl, rolled  out of it onto the floor. Got up and then she gave me a look like that was the plan the whole time.

cookin

Contributor

Re: My cat is too funny sometimes

lol. too funny! Of course, she is too cool to have accidently taken a spill into her bowl.

We call all of that sudden running around "crazy cat" in our house.

Valued Contributor

My parent's cat (Simba) will be running around the basement and will try to turn to go upstairs but has too much momentum and the floor is laminate wood, so that he can't make the turn to go upstairs and ends up running into the wall instead.

Esteemed Contributor

Petunia does the P500 usually at night right before bed.

She comes down the stairs so fast it sounds likes she falls down them.

I don't know how 9 and 1/2 lbs. makes so much noise.

Super Contributor

Our calico cat, Hazel, does the same thing with the fast running.  Since we removed the carpeting & replaced with vinyl planks, she loves to slide on the floor....but we noticed when she's done with her running, her last stop is to the litter box to take a poop. 

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

As a multi-cat owner, it is great fun when a bunch of them start running back and forth upstairs, leaping and tumbling, racing and sounding like thunder.

The dogs run to the stairs and look up, wishing so badly they could join in the fun.

Honored Contributor

It's often referred to as (the) "zoomies".  Cat Tongue

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's fun to watch them when they get the zoomies, isn't it? I think this is pent up energy that needs to come out. My cat does this frequently by running in circles in my condo. If I leave the 2 balcony doors open, he can make a wide circle. Although my flooring is mostly carpeted, the kitchen and hall entry way are vinyl planks. He has so much speed turning corners, his back end doesn't catch up with his front end, and he slides. Too funny!

Esteemed Contributor

Lol, your cat has a cute personality, @cookinfreak.

We have laminate floor in the living room and our little rescue kitty figured out awhile back that he can run, then slam on the brakes and go sliding. He kept us entertained for several days with his funny antics. 

Frequent Contributor

When my cat does that, I call it his "running amok" phase.