Regular Contributor

Just would like some advice on this situation. The vet game my cat medication. She is not eating. I am feeding her with a syringe. Vet said sometime they will start eating again and liver is ok. She mention euthanasia to me, but I want to try everything before I give up. Has anybody gone threw this or know anything about this? Sometimes she seems better, but other times she seems down. I’m very worried about her. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My cat has liver failure.

[ Edited ]

I have a dog who is having liver problems.  She has been taking Denamarin ( milk thistle) for about two years.  So far, so good.  She is not getting worse.

This product is available for cats too.  It is best to start taking at the beginning or middle stages of liver disease.  It must be taken on an empty stomach.

I buy it on Amazon.  It was less expensive there than what my Vet charges.  You do not need a prescription to purchase it.

I don't know if will help your kitty, but it can't hurt to try it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry to read this!

I always like to try a holistic, natural approach whenever possible. I order from a company called "Pet Essences", & their products are fantastic, & they work very well. They do have a liver remedy, but you may need some additional items to strengthen your kitty. 

You can call them tomorrow & ask for help. I've had 2 old kitties with serious issues, & the remedies worked really fast. Eventually they did pass, but at least they felt so much better for 6 months to a year. By the time an issue shows up in a cat, it's usually progressed pretty far. 

Let me know if you have any questions....I'll sure try & help, if I can. Smiley Happy

BTW, they ship very fast via USPS.

Respected Contributor

@jagk 

I do not have any advice but wanted to tell you I will keep you and your cat in my prayers.

doxie

Regular Contributor

Thank you so much

Respected Contributor

@jagk wrote:

Just would like some advice on this situation. The vet game my cat medication. She is not eating. I am feeding her with a syringe. Vet said sometime they will start eating again and liver is ok. She mention euthanasia to me, but I want to try everything before I give up. Has anybody gone threw this or know anything about this? Sometimes she seems better, but other times she seems down. I’m very worried about her. 

So sorry to hear this news...my little one before he passed had liver issues in the early years and was prescribed milk thistle and it worked as his numbers stabilized. I would be concerned when they don't want to eat but do recommend getting a second opinion before euthanasia. Believing she gets better!

Trusted Contributor

i am so sorry to hear this.  ithurtsus as much as it does our beloved babies.  i wish i had a magic wand and could wave it to make everything okay.  but all i can do  ispray for what is best for your cat.

Esteemed Contributor

@jagk  I am so sorry.  My first dog, many years ago, had liver failure and I remember changing her diet drastically.  No one had mentioned euthanasia to me, but with a change in diet, she lived a long life.  I hope you find something that will help.  Sending prayers.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

Several years ago my cat was diagnosed with fatty liver disease. He quit eating and drinking. My vet referred us to one who treats this disease, if that's what your cat was diagnosed with. My cat had a feeding tube surgically implanted, and I had to buy special wet cat food and blend it in blender and feed him in the tube (which stuck out of his body a few inches) by syringe. This was done several times per day and I also watered him this way. This continued for several weeks and was expensive and a big commitment (he also had to wear the cone of shame all the time so he couldn't pull the tube out), but he did make a full recovery and lived a few more years. Wish you and your kitty the very best.
Valued Contributor

I just want to tell you that I am praying for you and your cat.  I lost my 8yr old last year.  He was having a normal morning.  he was an indoor cat.  He ate, he grunted and he dropped...I tried CPR to no avail.  I was one year ago...I still have such a hole in my heart.  I even have a kitten, plus another cat.  I love them all so much.  I wish you well.  I would try the homeopathic no doubt.  It is good you are asking for help.  Godspeed to you and kitty .