Respected Contributor

Re: My cat has hyperthyroid can't get her pill down her

I saw this thread just as I sat down after giving our older cat his night time thyroid pill.   His thyroid was overactive and after trying several things we went with the radiation treatment.  Worse thing we ever did.   They destroyed is thyroid.  It's just above zero now .  So now he has to take thyroid pills.   Such a waste of a couple thousand dollars and we feel horrible to have put him through it.

We disolve his in water and use a syringe too.  He doesn't like it but we feed him right after so he puts up with it.  We may try some of the other ideas here.  Thanks for those.

Our other cat was just put on drugs to lower his too.  Vet said normal number for cats his age and size was 4 and his number was 26.  Vet said he'd never seen a level that high.  We opted for the gel in his ear because he loves having his ears rubbed.  So far, so good.   

I'm glad I saw this post.  My first time on pet lovers.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going through this with one of my kitties now.  He is about 15 years old and was losing weight for a while.  Vet said his numbers were "normal" but after more weight loss, we are trying the gel in his ears.

After losing one cat to surgery for an ear tumor, I will never put another cat through that.  It was heart wrenching to lose him after all he went through.  I am still sick at heart over it.

I decided that if the problem cannot be treated without surgery, so be it.  Haven't been on the thyroid med long enought to see any results.  Hoping for the best.

Super Contributor

I wish she could have that treatment, but because of her age the vet said he dose not advise it.