Honored Contributor

My cat Bill is Getting Treated For His Thyroid

It's only been a few hours since my friend and I took Bill to the clinic to get treatment for his thyroid.  He has Hyperthyroidism.  A recent checkup brought it to our attention.

He'll be in the clinic for 4 days total.  They called and said they'd given him the injection, then monitor him for 3 days.

Then I can come and pick him up.  I miss him so much.  I have his sister (Katie) but she doesn't have much to do with me...Ha!

The cost of this procedure is $1,700.  I get a $100 discount for being old...Ha!  Swear to you.  My vet says he's sent at least 7 or 8 patients there and had excellent results and not to worry.

But you furbaby parents know that is easier said than done.

Honored Contributor

Re: My cat Bill is Getting Treated For His Thyroid

That would be so hard to leave him for four days, but it sounds like it's very necessary.  Will he only need treatment this one time, or is it an ongoing thing?  I've never had a cat or dog with thyroid problems.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is this the radioactive iodine therapy?  I'm sure that it feels like a year to you.  I can definitely appreciate that.  Boy, is Bill going to be happy to see you in a few days.  My little sweetie has thyroid issues, but because of some other health problems, my veterinarian felt that this therapy would not be an option. From what I read, this is a very successful process, and will take care of those thyroid issues.  I would do it in a heartbeat if it was recommended.  A few more days....just a few more days!!! Take care.  

Honored Contributor

I also had a cat many years ago who had an overactive thyroid.  My sister's cat is presently taking medication for her thyroid issue and is doing well.  I think the procedure is successful and hopefully Bill will be fine.

I too have thyroid as do eight people on my mother's side.  It is genetic obviously and I started with hyper thyroid and now have hypo thyroid.  I take synthroid.  When my cat was diagnosed I couldn't believe cats had this problem too, that was many years ago and now it is more common or at least the vets know what to do to help the cats.

Hope all goes well.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I did this for my beloved Maine Coon, at age 14.  We went to Radiocat.  Keep in mind that hyperthyroidism can also mask kidney disease, which is what happened with her.  It bought us another year and a half before she succumbed to kidney failure.  She was a gentle kitty, but apparently she gave the Radiocat vet (A.K.A. "Kitty Camp") an earful one day.  She was weirded out for a bit when she came home and then was right as rain.  She was an only kitty at the time, so I didn't have to worry about any radioactive interaction with kitty siblings.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I'll be thinking of you and Bill!  I know this separation is difficult, but he sounds like he's in good hands.  Sending hugs your way!  ❤️😊😻

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of the link that was provided.

Super Contributor

Hi Annabelle, My Carley has that. I didn't get her treated, I give her pills. Just wanted to mention sometimes when that is cleared up, Kidney disease shows up. (Hyperthyroid masks the kidney disease.) Anyway if that happens be sure and give Bill Pet Wellbeing Kidney Support Gold. It's an herbal tonic. Carley is 20 years old and been on it for 2 years. Her kidney numbers have improved. I highly recommend it. All my best to Bill. 

Honored Contributor

I had my thyroid removed about 2 years ago and 2 daughters have thyroid issues.  

My youngest daughter had 1/2 of her thyroid removed and the Dr said there was a mass the size of an orange.  They only removed 1/2 because it would make it easier for her to have a baby.  I've been thinking about 'an orange' and it must have been like flat (right?).  There were no outward signs it was so big.

She said almost immediately she could breathe better.  I guess it runs in our family (I know with humans) but now with animals too.....HA!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 good thoughts and prayers that Bill will be back in your arms shortly . . . I have to tell you, I love his name as so many pets have such different or exotic names so it warms my heart to know you and Bill are a team (along with Katie who apparently may be in a different room at the time) . . . best wishes again to you and Bill!  Heart  cat hug smiley