Esteemed Contributor

Re: My beloved Schatzi has cancer

🙏

Trusted Contributor

@wismiss I am so sorry about your sweet Schatzi. I am praying for you and for her. I know so many people right now going through this with their fur babies. We are too. I have never heard of anyone else naming their pet Schatzi until now. I had a dachshund when I was little named  Schatzi. Very unusual. My dad named  her. Thinking of you during this difficult time. Heart
Respected Contributor

@wismiss I am so sorry that you are having to deal with such a trial.  I lost my baby on July 4 and the 3rd he was bouncing across rhe yard on leash smiling.  It was a total shock at his passing.  I know you will make the right decision when/if the time comes.  Cherish the moments and cuddle with hugs and belly rubs!

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss 

There's nothing like the heart-shattering, helpless thud of the kind of diagnosis you received for your beloved Schatzi. Nothing. It is the price we pay for sharing our lives with wonderful creatures who live shorter lives than us.

But: One thing is certain ... Schatzi has lived a long life so far because of your non-stop love and care. So many pets don't get this privilege, sadly, and you've given her all to her. It shines in your description of her, and of your broken heart.

Having a pet with a terminal or chronic illness is so difficult.  Yet I know the same person who gave beyond her very best to this special kitty can do so again. Do as she does:  live in the moment. That's all any of us are given anyway. Enjoy her in every way possible as you see to her comfort.  Stroke her wonderful fur; give her a loving scratch where she loves it most; look into those magical, mystical eyes special to a cat.

As my husband would tell me when I'd get upset over a pet's final illness, "Happy voices! Remember to talk in happy voices!  That's all he/she can hear and sense."

Godspeed to you and your dear Schatzi. We are praying for you both!

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry.  This is not easy.  Hang in there.

You are doing what is best for your kitty.

Trusted Contributor

I was devastated and now I am just angry.  Why do such little animals have to get cancer?  (Likewise, why people?)  I have decided to keep a diary to help me cope with what Schatzi and I are experiencing.  Yesterday she sat on my lap and purred and purred and purred.   I think she senses that something isn't quite right and she won't leave me out of her sight.  They are so much smarter than they are given credit for.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss 

You're going through what's called "anticipatory grief"--it's like the 7 stages for humans, only for pets when you know they have a terminal illness. I don't blame you. I've been furious, beyond devastated, then back to anger and helplessness.

The journaling is a good idea.  Try to keep a positive vibe as best you can around Schatzi; it's the best gift you can give her.

Trusted Contributor

So very sorry to hear t.his. Your plan for her is perfect. My prayers are with you at this sad time in your life

Esteemed Contributor

(((HUGS)))  It's never easy @wismiss  Kisses for your precious Schatzi