Trusted Contributor

I am sorry, KimmyK, that you and Ginger are going through this.  It is so difficult when a pet gets sick.  Heart breaking, for sure.  It sounds as if you are doing everything for your sweetie.....taking Ginger  to a reputable, knowlegeable doctor who can help you figure out what the problem is.  Thinking of you.........................

Super Contributor

Kimmy - you and your sweet Ginger are in my thoughts and prayers.

Honored Contributor

history of the shetland sheepdog the sheltie was developed on the ...  ~~ I know your heart is breaking at the thought of losing Ginger.  Our dog training club had several shelties trained as certified therapy dogs.  They were great at therapy work in all types of situations and seemed to know just how to interact with people whether they were working with children, youth or adults.  They were "true therapists in fur" and I loved being around them.  They are a beautiful breed of dog.  Heart 

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ginger.  ((((Hugs))))

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

Kimmy, prayers heading your way and your beloved Ginger's way.  Shelties are wonderful dogs.  We've always had collies, which remind me of their more diminutive "cousins"  -- a joy in their own, distinctive right. 

Has your vet conducted tests to identify which organ(s) are failing? Is there no hope for treatment?  I only ask, not to cause pain, but because some vets assume a dog is dying when it won't eat ... but sometimes there is a root cause that is treatable. 

I pray there is some hope for Ginger.  Even though your post shows your heart breaking, it also shows the love you've always had for her -- a love that clearly has guided every decision you've made on her behalf.  

Respected Contributor

Kelly, I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful Ginger. I am also a dedicated Sheltie owner who is in fact owned by my 3 Shelties. Shelties have the most beautiful personalities, most forming a very strong bond with their people. I have had 10 and have lost 7 and each one has been devastating. Knowing how much they loved me though, I know that my Shelties never wanted me to be sad, always cheered me up, and loved me so much that they would never want to leave me if they had a choice. When I lost my second Sheltie, a very nice Vet said to me "you gave her a very nice life". I always remember that and the fact that my babies never would leave me if they could have helped. it. In each one there was a special Sheltie and they all live on in my other Shelties. Prayers for you and Ginger. I know she loves you.

Respected Contributor

Sorry, I meant Kimmy. Stay strong, it is ok, to love her and you don't have to make decisions because you are uncomfortable.

Occasional Contributor

Re: My beloved Ginger-Update

I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words from my original post in regards to my sweet 11 year old sheltie named Ginger.  We said goodbye to her this morning. I loved this dog so much and I hated seeing her ill. For me, it was one of the most heartbreaking things to see since I got her when she was a puppy and remember her being so full of energy and life. Now I will cherish those memories along with the many photographs. What a sad day.

Esteemed Contributor

So very sorry...

Rest assured Ginger, now free and happy on the rainbow bridge, will always be watching over you, always at your side.  Prayers for you in this most difficult time.

Respected Contributor

KimmyK...Sorry to hear about the loss of your Fur Baby GingerHeart...Dog SympathyDog Not GoodByeLit Candle Flower!

You'll Meet Me in the Light!

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Valued Contributor

More hugs & prayers (((((((((((((((KimmyK))))))))))))))) My heart goes out to you for your loss.Heart