Respected Contributor

Re: My Senior Dog

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee 

I don't mean I'm taking her in to be euthanized.  I am keeping a close eye on her and seeing how she does.  She does have arthritis, a heart murmur and is pretty much deaf.  

But she has life left in her and love to give.  I will be taking her to the vet for her senior exam soon.  

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

@Foxxee 

I don't mean I'm taking her in to be euthanized.  I am keeping a close eye on her and seeing how she does.  She does have arthritis, a heart murmur and is pretty much deaf.  

But she has life left in her and love to give.  I will be taking her to the vet for her senior exam soon.  

@Catty2 

I'm so relieved to hear that.  Thanks for letting me know.  

Respected Contributor

I have had to deal with this myself different times.  Both cats and dogs. Never easy but isn't it nice we have this option so out babies do not have to suffer.  Never easy to say good bye.  

Your vet can help you decide when the time is right.  As long as my guys can eat then I know I am going to keep them happy as I can.  To me that is a big sign.

I have a senior dog now and requires a lot of care and he's been my buddy for a very long time.  He has a medicine regiment.  My husband is retired so he is  home to take care of him during the day because he really can't be left alone for long.  

I just wish my pets when they become ill would pass in their sleep but unfortunately  only  twice has that happened.  So hard to say good bye.  

I will pray for you and your baby.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Senior Dog

[ Edited ]

@Catty2,  my vet had long recommended fish oil.  I also was taking fish oil but kept hearing about the benefits of krill oil over fish oil so started researching.  In my research I was finding references to krill oil for dogs/cats and diverted my research from krill oil for me to krill oil for my pets.

Reasoning that if fish oil was recommended by my vet I decided on my own to change to krill oil.  At Teddy's last check up I told the vet about the change to krill oil and the change in Teddy.  He fully supported the change, and as noted in my earlier post noted the improvement in Teddy.  Both dogs and my cat are now getting krill oil every day.

I started out using Dr. Mercola, Antarctic Krill Oil Liquid Pump, for Cats and Dogs, one pump for Teddy (12 pounds), two pumps for Sunny (26 pounds) and one pump for my cat.

At one point I could not get the Dr. Mercola brand and bought NWC Naturals Pet Products Tri-Krill Krill Oil Pump for Pets. both available at Amazon.   Dosage is the same as with the Dr. Mercola and I will likely stay with this brand.

As a note I also changed from fish oil to krill oil and have benefited from the change.

ETA:  If you decide to give krill oil a try I hope your dog benefits as much as mine has benefited.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

My heart aches for you. My condolences.

Respected Contributor

@Catty2 , just try your best to keep her as comfortable and routine as normal as possible.   My Maltese passed this Easter Sunday,  16 yrs 8 mos old...I changed anything and everything according to her needs and wants.   Just know your helping her and let her feel  your love.  My best to you and your pup!!

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I have been crying on and off all day.  I think the time may soon come for me to decide if my 14.5 year old girl is at the point where her quality of life isn't what it should be.  She is really slowing down.  Today I had to go get her from the backyard because she seemed disoriented and it's hot out.  I always sit on the back patio when she is in the yard to make sure she is OK.  I picked her up and brought her inside.  We had family dogs growing up but she is my first dog.  I adopted her over 10 years ago and she has been my shadow every since.  I'm just venting here because I know so many of you have had to make this decision.  I've also been a cat Mom for decades and have had to deal with this many times.  But it's different with a dog because they are so much more dependent on you.  Thanks for listening.    

@Catty2   Reading your post, it's so obvious you're a feeling Mom to your dog.  There are signs when the time is now. I trusted the opinions of my vet and he always said that my dogs will "let me know". All of mine gave me a 'look" and I knew in their eyes, they were ready to move on to a better place.

It's never an easy decision or less painful for us. Being responsible for a pet includes knowing when to let go. Painful, I know. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

Whenever I adopted a dog, I knew that the joy would be tempered in the end with heartbreak. My 11+ year old beagle is being treated for cancer. She's doing very well but I know the time will come when we must say good-bye. It has happened three times before with my wonderful beagles. I dread it but the bottom line is that we do not want our beloved pets to suffer.

@Vivian   I feel close to you because of our beagles in common. We had to put Sadie down (she was almost 14) a few years ago and Molly, at 8, has been a "peach", but never a replacement.

I don't know if you've experienced this, too, but some beagles have the personality that just are so sweet and calm. They'll cuddle and just take your heart. Sadie was that. Molly, although we love her dearly, is full of 'pi*s and vinegar"...a behavior issue always, was difficult to trian  and oh so active. Each dog is so different and they adjust to our lives, but sometimes, there are beagles (and other breeds) that we just cannot replace. 

Trusted Contributor

@Catty2 

The best to you and your beloved dog.  It is so hard when

are beloved pets get old.  It is heartbreaking.

Regular Contributor

I am totally with you on this.  My 14 years old Toby is slowing down.  We had an episode with his joints a few weeks ago and I was terrified.  He was given painkillers and we made sure he got plenty of rest.  He knew he wasn't well and was a great patient.  We lost our younger dog who was 12 at Christmas so I feel like it's a ticking time bomb.  Still, I/we do all we can for him and enjoy everyday we have.  We were so absorbed in the loss of his brother we didn't realize how much love we had still to give to Toby.  After that episode it made us appreciate him even more.  Enjoy every moment, smile, laughter and love because they give it all back to us.