Respected Contributor

My Penny Girl Checking Out the Tomato Harvest

Not sure if this photo will show up.  First time trying to post one here.   My son has a garden and it's tomato season. Can you tell?? My Penny Girl is wondering what's going on, especially since she has an affection for the same type of cardboard box.   

If you were to title this picture, what would it be??  20180807_192907 .jpg

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: My Penny Girl Checking Out the Tomato Harvest

All this and not one catnip plant!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie  LoL... Actually, we do have capnip planted and they (Penny Girl, Squeaks and Grinder (he grinds his teeth when he eats..Smiley Happy  love it!

Respected Contributor

The Best Looking Tomato in the Bunch!

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella

Your Penny Girl is precious.  I love the varied colors in her fur.

I think @luvzchiz has a great caption.  She is the cutest tomato!

Your son must be a wonderful gardener!  That harvest is so varied and delicious looking.  How lucky you are to have a son who can grow such beauties.

I do hope Penny Girl has her own box to play in Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella  Oh, I want to come visit your garden.  I spend so much time/energy on my tomato plants.  My DH even build me a special garden out of redwood to hold and coddle them.  Guess what....infestation of mice/rat.  We have used cruelty free bait box and relocated the little critters, but they are very smart and only go straight to the tomatoes especially when ripe for pickin'.  DH wants to upend the tomato bushes...we are really at a crossroad with our nightly crew of visitors (Alro informs us when they arrive as we have a camera on the garden). 

Just love your harvest...I was hoping for a similar feast!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Penny Girl is an unusual diluted calico.  Even the vet commented on her unusally pretty fur and deep emerald eyes.  

Yes, my son loves to garden... He didn't get it from me.  I manage to kill anything in a garden! Ha!  However, put a pan or pot in front of me and I'll cook the best meal made with the veggies..Smiley Happy  

He planted these varieties of tomatoes:  San Marzanos, Sweet 100's, Golden Sun Hybrids, Midnight Snacks, Rutgers tomatoes, Black Crim, Black Cherry Tomatoes, Early Girl, Better Boys and Tasty Yellows!

He also planted eggplant, zucchinis, strawberries, raspberries, asparagus, pumpkins, Hungarian wax peppers, pepperocinis, jalapenos, thai chiles, habaneros, ghost peppers, broccoli, kale, chard, bussel sprouts, cauliflower, lettuce, cantalope and horseradish along with a ton of different herbs.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd  Thank you for the compliment.  I passed it on to my son who is sitting here at the moment.  He did tell me to tell you that he has a constant battle with a groundhog!  We just bought a havahart trap after trying other methods. 

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella  I just read about your son's garden - what a treasure your son is....lucky mom (although I'm sure you had a lot to do with it)!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd

I understand what you are going through.

I've lived in this house for close to 30 years and cannot grow anything the deer will not destroy.  I gave up.  Between the bad soil, the deer, the insects -- well, it just wasn't worth the effort!

This year, however, I planted mint, basil and two tomato plants in huge pots.  The tiny yellow tomatoes did great, as did the mint and basil.  My one red cherry tomato got something in it and struggled.  It was moldy and eaten out from underneath.  I did manage to get a few tomatoes from it before pulling it out of the pot.

The pots were placed in front of my garage on the concrete pad -- they got sun all day in that spot.

I guess the deer don't like walking onto the concrete.  It's the first time in all these years I managed to harvest any tomatoes!