Super Contributor

My Outdoor cat keeps losing his break-away collar with ID tags

[ Edited ]

Is there any safe alternative to a break-away collar?  I want my outdoor kitty, Charlie, to have his ID tags on him at all times.  He is very active (climbs trees etc.) so I think a regular collar would be dangerous (risk of choking or hanging).  He his lost three collars thusfar.  Thanks for advice & recommendations

Edited to add: Charlie IS MICROCHIPPED...but without a collar..he looks like a stray and I doubt anyone who found him would bother to go to a local veterinarian to have him scanned for a chip.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Outdoor cat keeps losing his break-away collar with ID tags

Is he microchipped?  That's not an alternative but would be an extra safety feature.  I don't think there is a safe alternative to a break-away collar.  My indoor only cat wears a break-away collar in case he got out.  He's also microchipped.

Is there a reason you don't want to turn him into an indoor only cat for his safety?  You may have posted on this before, so I apologize if you have already mentioned this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@NickNack  Yes. He is microchipped..I just added that info.to my post as you were replying.  Also, there are reasons we have not (yet?) made him an indoor cat.  I agree that I absolutely prefer all my cats to be indoor only..in fact, I already have 2 indoor cats.

There is a thread that I started in this forum "How to know if outdoor cat...."

Valued Contributor

I have found break-away collars attached to my chain link fence. They, like any other collar, get caught when kitty crawls under and then they come loose. That's what they are supposed to do. I have always called the owner and returned the collar, but if you don't know who the owner is, you may not let them know. A regular collar would hang him, literally, so you don't want one of those. I also would vote for trying to convince him he wants to stay indoors. 

Super Contributor

@shopperqvcwrote:

I have found break-away collars attached to my chain link fence. They, like any other collar, get caught when kitty crawls under and then they come loose. That's what they are supposed to do. I have always called the owner and returned the collar, but if you don't know who the owner is, you may not let them know. A regular collar would hang him, literally, so you don't want one of those. I also would vote for trying to convince him he wants to stay indoors. 

@shopperqvc  Of course, you are correct.  I was just wondering whether there was another option...probably not

Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuverwrote:

@NickNack  Yes. He is microchipped..I just added that info.to my post as you were replying.  Also, there are reasons we have not (yet?) made him an indoor cat.  I agree that I absolutely prefer all my cats to be indoor only..in fact, I already have 2 indoor cats.

There is a thread that I started in this forum "How to know if outdoor cat...."

@MsCatLuver  Yes, I followed that thread.  I had a feeling you had posted something about a reason but couldn't come up with it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've gotten animals I found wandering checked for microchips. With cats, it's much safer than a collar. None of my cats will keep a collar on anyway. They have mastered removing the breakaway collars in seconds. None of mine go outside, except one and he  is only allowed out with supervision. We bring him in when go back in the house. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Both of my cats are indoor only, microchipped and no collars. They let me know early on cute collars with bells weren’t for them. 

Valued Contributor

when you say outdoor cat what do you mean? I hope you do not allow your cat to roam the neighborhood? I like cats but I do not like other peoples cat in my yard I have a dog and I do not want a cat attacking my dog? I see my neighbors let their cats wander the neighboorhood all the time I think this is wrong. If you want your cat to be outdoor keep him in your yard. 

Super Contributor

@tockerman, the OP has recently inherited a non-feral, "outdoor only" cat. She has a previous post, currently on the second page, indicating she wants it to be indoor only, but has concerns that the cat may not adapt well. The post starts "Advice needed: Any way to know...."

Hope this helps with your concerns.