Honored Contributor

Re: My Male Golden is coming home today after Pace Maker implant surgery yesterday

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

That is great news, he is a lucky boy ,i did not know you also have 3 goldens.

@goldensrbest  Just two goldens....ZaZu( the big guy!)  ( age 4)....ZaZu is 1/4 standard poodle 3/4 golden....Lola is 100% golden( age 8).

here they are!IMG_0048.JPG

aahhh...  HeartHeart

Trusted Contributor

Re: My Male Golden is coming home today after Pace Maker implant surgery yesterday

@SeaMaiden  Thank you for sharing all the info ~

We lost our sweet boy 2 weeks ago today : (  

So difficult!!!

When we are ready to have another I will look into this insurance ~ thank you Heart

Honored Contributor

@Irish1210 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Thank you for sharing all the info ~

We lost our sweet boy 2 weeks ago today : (  

So difficult!!!

When we are ready to have another I will look into this insurance ~ thank you Heart

@Irish1210   

I am so sorry for your loss of your pup.Smiley Sad  When you are ready to have another you will just know...  you need time to prepare your heart to love so greatly again.....

it actually took me about 5 years from the loss of my last  two older dogs to really feel prepared for a new pup.... and then I wondered why I waited so long!   Now I feel so blessed to have been given  the opportunity to love my two dogs.

Our sweet female Lola is just 100% sweetness and love.... and I really think that Zazu with his heart issue found us as the universe knew we would do our best no matter what to help his heart condition.  Things just happen like this I think for a reason. We are his 4th  and final home.... and so glad he ended up with us!   He is very special.

When you decide to get a new pup,  It will be one lucky pup to have YOU  choose him to be in your home.  

Honored Contributor

UPDATE:  Day #2 

ZaZu is home

He is not himself.... on pain meds... so he has a blank kind of look in his eyes. No appetite, just  not himself.

He needs to be kept from any kind of exercise or such for 8 weeks...  he is on pain meds and antibiotics... also was given a subscription for anti anxiety to keep him calm and moving around less... thus rather sleepy and sluggish.. 

When I put him outside on the leash, he just wants to eat grass... kind of like obsessive about eating grass.... wonder if his tummy hurts?

I hope his appetite comes back in a few days.... he just is not himself. But this is really major surgery.  And only the second day.  They actually screwed  the leaders from the implant into the bottom of his heart.  I imagine it might take a week for him to start feeling in anyway " more normal"

He wags his tail for us when we come into the room he is resting in..... but it is a sad wag.... and a sad look in his normally very expressive eyes.

I just hope we have done the right thing to have put him through this process of healing for the next couple of months.  I guess that is the question I have to ask myself. 

Will update his progress as the days go on.  Thanks for those who have said such uplifting things... and any suggestions you have if you have had a dog go through surgery of any kind... how to get him to want to eat ( I have tried all his favorite things to no avail)  and hopefully he will poop as he has not done that since being home.

If his not eating or pooping continues I will call the hospital and get advice her in the next day or so.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden. Thanks for the update. Any of my beagles who’ve had much less serious surgeries, have had similar symptoms for the week afterwards. The vet explained that the anesthesia slows down the digestive system (no poop), antibiotics can upset their stomachs (like they can do to ours), and confusion the first few days can cause the listlessness and blank look in their eyes. 

It’s difficult that we can’t explain to them what happened & that they’ll feel better soon...more frustrating that they can’t communicate w/ us how they’re feeling. 

Definitely check w/ hospital as the days progress if ZaZu doesn’t snap out of it a little each day. 

Thinking about both of you. 💕

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Thank-you!  I needed to hear everything you wrote... I feel a little better now. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus  Thank-you!  I needed to hear everything you wrote... I feel a little better now. Smiley Happy

@SeaMaiden  That’s just my experiences w/ 10 beagles through the years. I’m still not a vet. Any concerns or something that seems abnormal....well you know your pup better than anyone. Call if necessary. They can be reassuring. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    I had some chicken bone broth and I offered him some of that and he seemed happy about it!  Even gave me a tail wag while lapping it up. Smiley Happy That is good to know that he finds it tasty.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus    I had some chicken bone broth and I offered him some of that and he seemed happy about it!  Even gave me a tail wag while lapping it up. Smiley Happy That is good to know that he finds it tasty.

@SeaMaiden  Great. It’s just trial & error. So rewarding when they respond when you’re trying so hard, right?

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I am praying for ZaZu........so glad to hear that chicken broth appealed to him.  I know how it is waiting and hoping for them to poop..........

I think his interest in the broth is a great sign : )  He's been through a lot and we want them to be themselves immediately........time will help him heal and recuperate.

Difficult to keep them quiet, but his meds should help with that ~ maybe just sitting next to him, petting and stroking, while speaking softly to him will help him feel secure and at ease ~ Heart

Please share updates as you are able ~~ Thank heavens he has such a blessed family to care for him ~

I appreciate your kind words regarding my pup......: (