Honored Contributor

My Male Golden is coming home today after Pace Maker implant surgery yesterday

[ Edited ]
  •  
    ZaZu thank fully came through the surgery well and was in ICU over night at the pet hospital.  They will do some tests this morning to make sure that the pace maker is doing what it should before he comes home to recoup.  He will be on antibiotics for quite a while and also pain med for several days. Infection is the second most dangerous part of the surgery besides the anaesthesia  which thankfully he came through well.  So I pray that he does not get an infection as that would involve another MAJOR surgery.

Recoup time is long... 6 to 8 weeks of keeping him quiet and inactive to give the pace maker time to adhere  and be stable .  They place it on his neck under his skin, so it does stick out some.  No more collars ever for him.

And We need to keep the two goldens we have now from playing as they play bite on the neck area.  THAT WILL BE THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF THIS WHOLE SURGERY   as this is going to be for his lifetime. No play fighting.    My two dogs play fight all the time..

Cost for this surgery... $7000!  Thank goodness for Pet insurance!  I will be out of pocket about $700.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Male Golden is coming home today after Pace Maker implant surgery yesterday

I'm so glad ZaZu came through the surgery well and will pray for a full recovery.  I feel for you trying to keep your dogs from play fighting.  I know that will be hard and will require quite a bit of retraining.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: My Male Golden is coming home today after Pace Maker implant surgery yesterday

ZaZu ... this is for you~!

Honored Contributor

You take special care of ZaZu during his recovery. And thank goodness you had pet insurance to help financially. 

We love our fur babies whether a cat or dog or both and they love us too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincess wrote:

You take special care of ZaZu during his recovery. And thank goodness you had pet insurance to help financially. 

@OKPrincess     If I had not had insurance, I would still have done the surgery even though it would have been  more financially straining.  Having the insurance was just a real blessing.

I think everyone should have pet insurance  on   their pets they love, as you just never know what could happen from one year to the next... Zazu is only 4 and last year checkup his heart had no murmur or issues at all....    suddenly it just happened. 

It is like any insurance... you may not need it, but,  if you do you might REALLY NEED IT.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@OKPrincess wrote:

@OKPrincess     If I had not had insurance, I would still have done the surgery even though it would have been  more financially straining.  Having the insurance was just a real blessing.

I think everyone should have pet insurance  on   their pets they love, as you just never know what could happen from one year to the next... Zazu is only 4 and last year checkup his heart had no murmur or issues at all....    suddenly it just happened. 

It is like any insurance... you may not need it, but,  if you do you might REALLY NEED IT.

Our 10 yr old Grayson (cat) was born with a heart murmur and has been sedated three times and done well each time. Thank goodness. 

As for insurance, I don’t know why I never got it for our boys but I would if we get another pet in the future. Im sure it would be costly the older the pet. I am glad you had it.

Respected Contributor

Wishing ZaZu well!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden- glad your ZaZu is on the road to recovery.  That had to be a scary experience for you, seeing him in distress.  You were smart to have the pet insurance, that's something we haven't really looked into.  Your experience shows me that we should.  Would you mind telling me about the coverage and cost, and where you got it?

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Great news on ZaZu.  I've had pets with serious heart problems and it does my heart good to see someone like you going the extra mile to give them a great quality of life.  He is loved beyond measure.

Honored Contributor

That is great news, he is a lucky boy ,i did not know you also have 3 goldens.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.