Regular Contributor

Re: My Holly was so sick after getting her vaccines...

I also had issues with vaccines for my miniature poodle(14 pounds in his prime) who died this past May at the age of 16 1/2 years old.  Tucker also had problems with too many vaccines. I blame a lot of his health issues with tremors etc. on the vaccines with one of them being the Lyme's.  He was about 7 years old I think when we started the Lymes because of all of the ticks here in Wisconsin.  I thought he was going to die.  Then the next year they split the shot into two doses and he did better.  But as he got older I refused to get the Lyme's and in his last few years of life he was only given the rabies which is required by law in our state.  I truly cannot figure out why they give the same dosage of rabies to a small dog as they to do a large dog.  Does not make sense.

We now have a new dog who is also a miniature poodle who is now seven months old.  She had her puppy shots and then when it came time for the rabies I had that one but nothing else.  I refuse to give her the Lepto or the Lymes.  I do give her the flea and tick amd heart worm (Credelio and Interceptor Q on a monthly basis.  We have too many ticks not to go with the preventive.  She did well on them with no reactions or getting sick. I feel that the vet practice needs to get out of the dark ages with all of these vaccines for our pets and come up with something that is safer and given according to the weight of the dog.

Honored Contributor

The problem with these vaccines is that they give a one size fits all to all breeds.  That means a 5 lb yorkie gets the same dose as a 125 lb. GSD.

My vet is not happy about it, but I have stopped many of the vaccines on my dogs.  I have never allowed them to get the Lepo as that has caused many problems in the breed that I have.

They are both due for a visit next week and need a rabies vaccine...required by law.  They get one every three years.

I know this visit is going to be a tug of war over the vaccines again.  It always is. And no matter how hard. I try to keep the costs down, my bill will be almost $300 for two small dogs.

Honored Contributor

As a person who believes pets get too many vaccines, a older dog should NOT HAVE THESE VACCINES.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

The problem with these vaccines is that they give a one size fits all to all breeds.  That means a 5 lb yorkie gets the same dose as a 125 lb. GSD.

My vet is not happy about it, but I have stopped many of the vaccines on my dogs.  I have never allowed them to get the Lepo as that has caused many problems in the breed that I have.

They are both due for a visit next week and need a rabies vaccine...required by law.  They get one every three years.

I know this visit is going to be a tug of war over the vaccines again.  It always is. And no matter how hard. I try to keep the costs down, my bill will be almost $300 for two small dogs.

I stopped also ,only when you get a puppy they need the set of shots, but  the vets want to keep giving them,too many dogs are dying of cancer,it may be in part because of the vaccines.

Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I'm so sorry that Holly had such a bad reaction!

We don't get vaccinations for our dogs any more.  Instead, the vet does a titers blood test.  If the antibody levels are high enough, no vaccination is warranted.

Hope she's feeling better soon!Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dr, jean dodds ,please look her up ,and read vaccine protocol.

Esteemed Contributor

Poor baby!  

I'm shocked your vet would give Holly all those vaccines at once!

Imho vaccines are poisons - often necessary, but only to be given separately to allow the body to fight off these toxins and thus gain immunity.  

I only allow Eddy have the 3yr rabies (same dose as annual) along with Lepto 'cause 

that has been on the rise in this area.  We don't go to dog parks, daycare, etc., so other shots are not required.

Even when giving his monthly heart/flea meds, I give them two weeks apart.

Anyways, hope Holly is all better very soon!Heart

Trusted Contributor

My Goldendoodle is now 11 years old, and I have asked my vet to space out the vaccinations and not give a smorgasbord of them at one time. Last year I discontinued totally  the Next Guard for fleas and ticks, when he had a seizure the day after being given his monthly pill. He is still able to tolerate HeartGuard with no problems. I too have heard that Lepo is probably the most problematic of the vaccines. Where I get my dog groomed they are very meticulous about having the vaccinations up to date. I just err on the side of caution and do not want to see my beloved dog on an overload of these vaccines. I know the Rabies only has to be given every three years. We keep our yard up to date sprayed for fleas and ticks (dog is not near the yard during spraying or  right afterwards) and so far we have not had any problems. I do have an Rx collar for fleas and ticks but have yet to use it, unless something pops up. 
I would consider talking to your vet and insisting no more overload at one time. 

Esteemed Contributor

A word of caution...I would not discontinue vaccines without having that discussion with your vet about proper testing for continued immunity.  Not every dog is immune for life and there are ways to minimize the possibility of a reaction.  The diseases these vaccines protect against are very deadly and can be found almost anywhere.  I have seen dogs with these diseases I would not take the chance of my dogs suffering like that.  While over vaccination may be a concern, so is under vaccination.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My two goldens are 8 yrs,and 9 yrs, they do not get vaccines.In fact spirit my 9 yr old, had got sick , and the vet agrees no more vaccines for him.He had eosinophilic myositis.