Honored Contributor

My son adopted Daffy two years ago.  She was 6 at the time and had suffered abuse.  Daffy and my son became inseparable.  Daffy also came to my house a couple of days a week so she wouldn't be alone all day, every day.  She and my dog got along well.  She was a 70 pound coonhound who thought she was a lap dog, the sweetest thing.

7am - normal

10am - lethargic, went outside and laid down in the far corner of the back yard, not doing well at all

11am - tests at vet's ER

3pm - Vet called to say Daffy was full of cancer and had internal bleeding. Daffy was really suffering by this time.

5pm - Daffy was put down.  

My son is devastated.  I'm heartbroken for my son and for losing my granddog.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

So very sorry for your family's loss.Heart

190560EC-CA52-4654-9D15-F9D5C2C2F9A6.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart -

Our loving granddogs-there is nothing like them in the world. 

I am so sorry and for your son-hold and love each other tight!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your loving pet. A hug for you and your son.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart   I'm so very sorry for your and your son's loss.  Daffy sounds like she was a wonderful girl.  I'm so glad she and your son found each other.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I am so sad to hear this.  Just a month ago I had to have my Holly put down.  I know what your son is going through.  God bless your son and you.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart  I am so sorry.  Sometimes cancer is not detected until it is too late, as we have found out in our family.  Does not make knowing that any easier.  My condolences.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I am so sorry.  Please take solace that she was loved and cared for after her abuse.

Denise
Super Contributor

Precious Daffy was gifted with a wonderful two,years of a life filled with people who loved and doted on her.  Thank you for giving her that gift.  And I am so very sorry for all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Having lost several granddogs, I know it hurts, in great part because we see our children grieving painfully over the loss. When my daughter's first dog Bailey died, she was inconsolable. I knew how she felt because I grieved after my own dogs died. Many people don't understand just how deeply we love our fur babies. They truly are our best friends.