Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Golden Lola is having surgery right now Wednesday June 19 9:22 AM Pacific Time

Eating and drinking..............play nurse - hold water dish up for her/him to drink or set on a stair so it's higher to (perhaps) clear the cone.  Same for food.  Pets really need lots of water after the medications - and lots of yard duty too. 

Keep us posted...................................

(last posting didn't clarify if cone was needed)

Respected Contributor

Re: My Golden Lola is having surgery right now Wednesday June 19 9:22 AM Pacific Time

@SeaMaiden 

Recently our 8 year old cat had eye surgery to remove lymphoma that was overtaking his left eye quite rapidly.  Successful surgery.  Of course, quite a few stitches, drainage for about a week, on pain meds & antibiotics which did a real number on his tummy.

He's a real trooper.  He has learned to navigate with a cone.  We are going into week three.  Stitches will be removed next week.  Yes, he eats and drinks water with no problem and did so from the time his appetite returned which was within a couple of days.

We made sure to take the water level to just beneath the lip of the bowl - same with food so that he could access it easily.

These days you would never know he underwent surgery.  He's frisky, jumps on my lap, and walks around here like he still owns the place.  He'll be delighted when the cone comes off.  Smiley Very Happy

A dog of mine also wore a cone for about a week.  She, too, learned to navigate.  They just do.

Keep giving Lola lots and lots of love.  She's going to come through this just fine.  You did a great job of taking care of her situation.  Give yourself a pat on the back.  Heart

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I wish Lola a speedy recovery without any complications or bad diagnoses. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I agree...please do not second guess yourself.  

Prayers for Lola and you.

Please us posted as we will all worry.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Someone told my sister about an inflatable pet collar for dogs after surgery.  She asked her Vet about it, and she thinks they're great.  I don't know why that's not what they use.  She bought it but only used it one day before realizing her dog didn't need it.  She thought it was so much better than the ones the Vets use.  She bought hers at PetSmart.

Unknown.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden   Someone told my sister about an inflatable pet collar for dogs after surgery.  She asked her Vet about it, and she thinks they're great.  I don't know why that's not what they use.  She bought it but only used it one day before realizing her dog didn't need it.  She thought it was so much better than the ones the Vets use.  She bought hers at PetSmart.

Unknown.jpeg

@NickNack   I saw these for sale  on Amazon....I do not think it would work as Lola,s surgery site is right above her left eye and this one would allow her to scratch at her face.  

She does hate the plastic cone she was sent home with!  Poor baby.  She has to wear it for at least 10 days....🙁

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I'm sorry I just read this.  

Sweet Lola, I'm glad your surgery is over with.  I wish you the best with your recovery & I pray no more surgery is needed.  Once you're thru this hurdle, cozy up to your Mom so she'll see the love you have for her for taking such good care of you.  Get plenty of R & R, you deserve it.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

Prayers on their way for you and Lola and hoping thr biopsy is benign.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack. I had a mini Aussie named Joy.  She figured out how to get under the bed and rub the cone on the box springs to get it off.  She became quite adept at it until I  tied the cone to her collar in about 6 places.

@SeaMaiden. How is Lola doing today?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is Lola this morning....she acts normal...her happy self EXCEPT she hates the cone.  I figure after a couple weeks of wearing it she will figure out how to maneuver about better.  Right now she is having a hard time.  She can eat and drink with it on just fine thankfully.

the incision site is swollen as to be expected. The original bump was much smaller.  It is shaved of hair too which makes it stand out.  It us a shame that it could not be removed this surgery.  Once we find out what it is....we can proceed from there.

Thanks for all the suggestions and good thoughts.  Now we will focus on healing and looking forward to July 3rd which is her next visit to the doctor and  we get to remove THE DREADED CONE👍🙂

IMG_0240.JPG