Respected Contributor

My Dog had Bladder & Prostate Cancer

[ Edited ]

He died on Sept. 6th and I've been a basket case.

I guess I'm "snapping out of it" because I just noticed my house smells bad.

He was "leaking" all the time, but I cleaned up after him constantly.

I used "Nature's Miracle" when I spot cleaned.

I've got hardwood floors.

How do I get rid of that odor?

Should I mop the floors?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Dog had Bladder & Prostate Cancer

So sorry about you dog. It is so hard at the end.

If you are physically able you should get Clorox wipes they are made and safe for wood floors.   The floor will be disinfected a 99% and will eliminate odors . It probably is the soft surfaces that are retaining smells, wash what you can and use the wipes on what can't be washed.  I use them on mine more often than not since covid. Also can be used on wood furniture that is finished. .

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina .........So sorry about your dog.  Its so sad to lose them.

Since your floors are hardwood you may have to have them sanded and refinished to get the odor out of the wood.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Odoban... excellent product, espcially for getting rid of urine smell.   You can use it on hardwood floors, however  I wouldn't soak the floors.  Simply mop the floors with a sponge mop.  Can be repeated if necessary.   71i7o+Qk2GL._AC_SX466_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

sold on Amazon

Touch the image to zoom in

Pooph Pet Odor Eliminator, 32oz Spray - Dismantles Odors on a Molecular Basis, Dogs, Cats, Freshener, Eliminator, Urine, Poop, Pee, Deodorizer, Natures, Puppy, Fresh, Clean, Furniture, Potty, Safe

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

He died on Sept. 6th and I've been a basket case.

I guess I'm "snapping out of it" because I just noticed my house smells bad.

He was "leaking" all the time, but I cleaned up after him constantly.

I used "Nature's Miracle" when I spot cleaned.

I've got hardwood floors.

How do I get rid of that odor?

Should I mop the floors?

I'm so sorry about your loss.  Pets are family.

Buy a cleaner that gets out urine smell. I've tried a couple from local pet stores and they do a good job without hurting my wood floors. I've even asked 2 people how it smells when they enter and they say it's all good....and I asked who would tell me the truth.

Honored Contributor

I think it would be worth a try ,to get o do ban,as was listed, also wonder if a steam mop could be used,not sure if they can be used on hardwood floors.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina I'm so sorry for your loss. I just lost my babydog in July and at the end he was doing the same as yours. Then I had a 17 year old cat also going everywhere before she died. It's so hard losing those you love. I still cry every day, some. I miss my little shadow more than I could've imagined.

I had the same issue, but no wood floors. We have an old carpet that needs replacing, so we just went over spots with a carpet cleaner. I had picked up all area rugs and was just alot of bare floor, easier to clean. I used alot of odo ban, a good product.

Hope you are ok. I'm sending hugs and, again, heartfelt condolences. Heart

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Odoban... excellent product, espcially for getting rid of urine smell.   You can use it on hardwood floors, however  I wouldn't soak the floors.  Simply mop the floors with a sponge mop.  Can be repeated if necessary.   71i7o+Qk2GL._AC_SX466_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

I cleaned my carpets a couple of weeks ago with this stuff and it works miracles.

But get the lavendar scent if you can because it can be overwhelming.  You can buy it at WM or HD for $10.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina  I am so sorry you lost your wonderful dog. I know the pain well.

The best thing I have used for urine smell is vinegar. It is a miracle how it works. I used it on my carpet and the smell completely went away. I used half vinegar and half water in a spray.  It will work on hard wood floors too. Give it a try.