Honored Contributor

My female cat was 11 years old yesterday and still has the same vices.  1.  Likes to knock over pictures in frames from side table; however, loves to knock down any thing she fancys; 2.  Rubs herself (side of face and chin) on the bottom edge of lamp shades.  Those are the two that drive me crazy but I still love her.  How about your cat?  What's his or hers vices?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: My Cat's Vices

[ Edited ]

Well, like most cats, mine who is 18 will look at her full dish of food forlornly because I need to "refresh it!" 

I've learned her different meows, one as I'm on the phone esp. with my mother who says "What is she yammering about?" lol, is because I need to refill her dish asap.

Also she likes to get as close as possible to me in the bed, so sometimes I am nearly off of it.

But starting from a very mean feral cat who bit everyone randomly and would scratch them til blood came, until a year or so ago!, she has turned into a sweet kitty and is very patient with me. I think after a full 2 years with me, she knows I will not hurt her.

I was determined (even though at first I wished she was my grandogs), that I would give her all the love she could possibly haveSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My cat is nine and was adopted when he was about one. He had been found in a snow storm and showed signs of abuse. He also had been returned to the shelter three times before I adopted him. So, my boy had a tough start in life. He was aggressive and aloof when I brought him home with me.  I understood why he had trouble finding his "fur-ever" home because of his behavior.  He pushed lamps off of tables, clawed everything he could dig his claws into, and flipped his food dish whenever he did not approve of what he was served.  It was a long first 35 months together. Things changed when we approached his third "Gotcha' Day." I was serioiusly ill and was in a hospital in another city for over a week. When I returned home, instead of having to play "Hunt the Kitty," I was practically knocked over by a cat who jumped into my arms and began purring.  I guess he missed me although several people took care of him while I was gone.

The knocking over of lamps stopped because I purchased floor lamps to replace the half dozen or so table lamps. But I also have a kitty who meows as if he is starving although he has full bowls of food and water sitting right in front of him. My boy also meows as if he is in extreme pain after he uses the litter pan. Is he sick or in need of medical care?  Nope, he wants his pan scooped immediately so that he has a fresh pan ready for future use. My cat even awakens me in the middle of the night if his pan needs to be scooped. (He has a huge dog-sized pan, but he will not use it if it has anything in it but fresh litter. )  

Do you think my boy is spoiled?  I do. He is right next to me as I type. I swear he wants to make sure that I do not type anything about him which he does not like. 

By the way, he is a beautiful long-haired orange cat.  He knows that he is a "beauty" and that I love him. 

Honored Contributor

@KailaS

That is so weird about the meowing after visiting the litter pan. My cat does that too as if she is in pain!

Maybe they are announcing to us that their pan needs to be cleaned right neooowww!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay

Our kitties really have trained us.  My boy definitely has an "impatient streak."  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I have one kitty who won’t drink out of his bowls even though I put crest water in them every morning. Instead he will hop on the toilet then to the sink and yell until I turn on the faucet. 

Honored Contributor

Yes our cats are spoiled. Grayson will sit on the bathroom counter and cry until I go turn on the water. And Bubba will start playing with the lamp shade if he wants my attention. 

I could write a book but it sounds like we all have very similar stories.🐈🐈

Honored Contributor

Mine will be 11 this year......

Before eating, my cat will wash his paws in the twin water bowl on the right side.

After eating, he will drink water from the left side.

I give him a treat every day between 4-6 every day.  Exactly at 4 (I swear he can tell time) he will come out of his "space" find me then sit right in front or the side of me staring me in the eyes until I get his treats.

If he meows twice in quick succession I know I better get those treats before he attacks. Smiley Mad

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KailaS

I know these kitties!!!

Bless them all and their wonderful humans.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I have never heard my cat meow.. But she loves to chase the cat I got from the shelter. She is very jealous. The shelter creeps through the den looking left and right for the chaser. Maybe she never had encounters like the older one. it took awhile for the younger cat to let me pet her but still r uns away  from me if get up. Both are female if that makes a difference. I feed the yo ung one on a table near a window so she doesn't get bothered.