Esteemed Contributor

My Angie is blind now

[ Edited ]

I've noticed just in the last few weeks my Doxie mix Angie losing her sight. She went to vet yesterday and after many tests varified she is blind.  All other tests negative,no diabetes,etc. So strange and sad. Vet thinks it must be an autoimmune disease or heredity.  Angie is so healthy,eats,wags her tail etc.  She knows this house and yard and navigates fine. It's such a shocking thing this can happen so suddenly. She's only 7.  We love her even more now.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I've noticed just in the last few weeks my Doxie mix Angie losing her sight. She went to vet yesterday and after many tests varified she is blind.  All other tests negative,no diabetes,etc. So strange and sad. Vet thinks it must be an autoimmune disease or heredity.  Angie is so healthy,eats,wags her tail etc.  She knows this house and yard and navigates fine. It's such a shocking thing this can happen so suddenly. She's only 7.  We love her even more now.  

OH, so sorry, but if she is still healthy otherwise,  she need extra love, hugs and kisses and some treats...hug from me.....

Trusted Contributor

I have a Maltese grand puppy.  He went blind by his 1st birthday.  He has excellant papers and the breeder offered to give us another puppy.  Of course we could not do that to a member of our family.  The vet said it is an occasional problem of the breed.  He is now 5 and gets around great inside and out.  Everyone has to try and remember to always put things back where they belong and park each car in its proper space so he does not run into them.  We think sometimes he forgets he is blind because,especially outside, he will hear something and without thinking take off on a dead run.  He will run into things occasionally but he never gets hurt and it does not slow him down.  He is a very healthy, happy, loving little dog who happens to be blind.  His nose and ears work overtime so he can still get into lots of mischief.

Respected Contributor

How lucky that little bundle of fur is to have you! It's not everyone who would love a blind dog or even care for one! You and your Angie are angels! I have had many dogs, some lived to 12 and 15 years old. They have had many ailments, cancer, diabetes, thyroid disease and epilepsy, but none were ever blind that we knew of! We have always had the dogs that had a little quirk to them, like a snaggle tooth or oddly shaped heads! It's now kind of "our thing" to find the dogs that don't appeal to "purists". We find the dogs we get are the sweetest and most loving! Thank you for caring for God's creatures, especially one with a big issue! Angie will repay your kindness a million times over with just one lick!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Sending your precious girl lots of hugs and kisses. Please deliver them to her for me. Cat Happy

(((((ANGIE)))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

Re: My Angie is blind now

[ Edited ]

I am sure that your home is blessed by this little one's presence, as she is blessed by you.  My heart goes out to both your family and your precious pup.  

Honored Contributor

I'm really sorry to read this, @MoJoV.  I can only imagine how sad you must be for your little girl.  

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

I have a Maltese grand puppy.  He went blind by his 1st birthday.  He has excellant papers and the breeder offered to give us another puppy.  Of course we could not do that to a member of our family.  The vet said it is an occasional problem of the breed.  He is now 5 and gets around great inside and out.  Everyone has to try and remember to always put things back where they belong and park each car in its proper space so he does not run into them.  We think sometimes he forgets he is blind because,especially outside, he will hear something and without thinking take off on a dead run.  He will run into things occasionally but he never gets hurt and it does not slow him down.  He is a very healthy, happy, loving little dog who happens to be blind.  His nose and ears work overtime so he can still get into lots of mischief.

@Gram W I have had several Maltese's in my life and I agree with you I could never give one up because of illness.  A long time ago the couple next door to me was babysitting the husband's mother very old dog that was clearly showing his age.  He was blind and had other issues but even in a strange yard he still puttered around happily sniffing away.  It was tough but thought provoking to watch him cruise around but all creatures adapt to their given environments and their faculties.

Just remember not to rearrange the furniture . . . Heart 

Respected Contributor

I have had a couple of my dogs lose their vision. A doxie and a frenchie. Both coped well and learned to navigate well. You will learn how to help Angie. I also made sure I used night lights,etc to assist in guiding them. My doxie tracked me with his nose. You were so right to take her in for a check up and she is fortunate that she is otherwise healthy. She will live a pretty normal life with you by her side. Best wishes and love to you both. I also made sure that I followed "paths" in my house so they could track a clear route through the house following my scent. Both my boys did great.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Regular Contributor

I am so sorry Skylark .... 

Image result for dog praying