Respected Contributor

Re: My 28 year old Blue Crown Conure Dudley and the Bird Hospital

I love sun conures. Be ready for some noise though. It is very hard to determine the life expectancy of a bird because often, it is accidents that end up killing captive birds. There is a whole list of things that you have to do and watch for. It is late tonight but look again tomorrow and I will write my thoughts. I do have a Brown throated Conure, a smaller conure like the Sun Conure and he is also 28 years. You can see him in the background of the picture I posted. He is well above his life expectancy of 10 to 20 years. He has been taking arthritis medicine for 2 years now. I will write more tomorrow, but I think you can get a good 20 years or more out of a Sun Conure if well cared for. They are great little beautiful birds. I always wanted 1. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt  You are such a good bird Mama! WOW! 28 years!  That is truely amazing and such a long relationship.  How old do these birds live to usually?

I have a cockatil that a neighbor found outside one summer about 20 years ago and I adopted him... I have no idea how old he is over the 20 years I have had him.  I have never had to do anything for him at the vet... he just keeps on going!   I will be very sad when he is gone... he is very sweet.  I have always given my birds milk thistle. I grind it up and put it in healthy muffins I make to give to them everyday.  I figured that it would help the liver process all the seed he eats.  I guess I was right.  I also have zebra finches and feed them the heathy muffins too.

Wishing you many more years with your sweet Dudley!Heart

Respected Contributor

Such beautiful birds! Just looking at them makes me laugh...in a GOOD wayWoman Happy

Valued Contributor

@conlt So happy your baby is back home and doing well. What a marvelous thing to have a pet for 28 years!! What a blessed thing! And I am not surprised you have a great vet here in Florida. I am over on the Gulf and have found an incredible vet who has my complete trust. I noticed your vet gave Dudley milk thistle- that's the kind of holistic treatment my baby gets from our vet. She recommends herbs and supplements that make a huge difference in his health. Praying for Dudley's full and fast recovery!!