Respected Contributor

My 28 year old Blue Crown Conure Dudley and the Bird Hospital

I did not post because I was so upset. I took my Blue Crown Crown Conure Dudley in to see the bird Vet last week because he was not acting right. I have had him for 28 years. I am happy to report after 9 days at the bird hospital, I took him home yesterday. He is doing well. My goodness, the vet called me daily, he had blood work, a fungal panel, he had to be tube fed some and given fluid under his skin, They gave him antibiotic injections because his white blood count was high and seriously great care. 

He is scheduled for an ultrasound this week to look at his liver but so far, so good. He is happy to be home and eating. 

They sent him home on an anti-inflammatory medication, heart medication and Milk Thistle for his liver. They don't know if he has a liver problem yet but put him on the Milk Thistle as a precaution. I am so greatful

to have him home again. His lifespan is around 30 years, I know he is really old but happy to have some additional time with him. 

My birds have been going to this bird hospital for years, and I am so grateful for the doctors and staff there. They are the Exotic Bird Hospital in Jacksonville, Fl, if anyone owns birds and is in driving distance and needs a great vet. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My 28 year old Blue Crown Conure Dudley and the Bird Hospital

So happy you are blessed to be able to spend much more time with your beloved baby!

Looks like St. Francis is listening.....

Respected Contributor

@conlt 

Praying for continued stablility and good health for Dudley.

Our pets are part of our families and the love they bring us is immeasurable.

I hope you give us an update next week that's great news for you both.

Fingers crossed.

Super Contributor

Your story makes me happy in many ways - I'm happy Dudley is doing better, happy that you have a great Vet and happy that you are such a great owner (for 28 years WOW)! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad Dudley is doing so much better.  It sounds like you have a truly amazing Vet.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

So nice to read something happy!  Here's to lots of more time with Dudley.

Respected Contributor

I'm so happy to hear that Dudley is doing better.   Finding a good avian veterinarian is difficult.  Here in my area we only have one that I would even consider using for my bird.  

When my little guy was sick last year we had to drive over an hour in rush hour traffic for him to get a series of injections over a three week period.  Fortunately he recovered nicely and hopefully we will have him for much longer.  

I hope the same is true for your precious bird.  It's amazing how attached we can get to our birds.  They really become a family member.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery, Dudley.

Respected Contributor

I'm so glad you had a good outcome for your baby.

And yes, even when they get old, they are still your baby. I have a cat who's 18 years old and we still call her our baby girl.

Honored Contributor

Those speciality vets do an amazing job.  I'm glad to hear dudley is doing better.  I was hoping you'd post a picture of him.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

So happy to hear that Dudley is home and doing better. Sounds like you have a wonderful avian vet ... they are hard to find.