Honored Contributor

Re: My 12 year-old Sheltie went off and died alone....

@AbbyK  So sorry😢. It must have been difficult to find him passed so suddenly. Wishing you peace. Feeling sad is normal  but know you were a wonderful pet Mom so do not beat yourself up over this. He is still with you always in your heart and soul. 

Respected Contributor

@AbbyK  Abby K I am so sorry for your loss. I am a Sheltie person and I know how precious they are. My Abby turned 8 today, Chance is 8 and Halo is 11. Halo is my dream sheltie and I know that time is coming but it is to difficult for me to think about. I love her dearly. One of my Shelties, Spunky, died on my front walk. I let her out to go to the bathroom and 5 minutes later she was laying on my front walk gone. She had congestive heart failure. She was 12 also. I have had 9 Shelties in my lifetime, including the 3 I have now. I had 1 die at 10, 2 at 16 and the rest were 12. God Bless you, just know that you gave him a wonderful lire and he would not have left you if he had a choice. He might have had a heart attack or stroke. Heart

Respected Contributor

@AbbyK 

I'm so sorry your Sweet Cody passed away so suddenly by himself.  Hopefully, he felt no pain.

I understand you're both broken hearted , but please don't feel guilty.  Your Cody passed on knowing the care & love you had for him.  He's now looking down upon you with love & smiles & thanking you for providing him with a loving home.

Hold his memories close to your heart.  Heart

Take care.

Honored Contributor

@AbbyK Don't feel bad because he was by himself.  As a matter of fact when I was growing up most of our animals did that.  I think they want the peace and to be alone to pass quietly.  It seems to be a very natural thing.

We may assign human feelings to pets, but in truth they are at the core animals and who they are, and sometimes that is hard for us to understand.

I am sorry for your loss, but think that he took the way that is natural for him to pass.  

Contributor

Thank you for your kind words.  I’m on my 7th Sheltie.  They are a wonderful breed, and 5 out 6 of them died at 12 years old! Each day, I’m a little better.  Cody had a great life, and he was a loving companion.  Now I’m down to one little guy, Jack.  I’ve always had at least two, and sometimes three pups, so my house is very quiet.  Perhaps in time!

Honored Contributor

I am sorry for your loss, its always a hard thing to go through.

Sounds like he may have gone outside and all was normal and he had a sudden heart attack.  Try not to feel guilty as it would have happened if he was lying on the floor by your feet.  Sounds like he did not suffer any.

Again I am so sorry I know what you are going through.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss 😔

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@AbbyK 

My heart breaks for you.. What a shock.  He was a very special furbaby.He loved you so much,he spared you the pain of making that  agonizing decision  We love our furbabies just as much as if they were humans. .

i am so very sorry for your huge loss  . Some may agree that loosing a beloved furbaby is as bad (  sometimes maybe worse) than looing a human.

My heart goes out to you <3

I Beileve you are right about that .   When we put down our sweet Bella down in November we felt like we lost a child and still do  I feel part of it is that they show us unconditional love which IMO we don't get from any human besides perhaps our parents. always have had to had to put our kitties down at the end ,  its the hardest decision ever to make and I dread the next time we have to make that  one way trip to the vet.....it's heart wrenching.   I'm feeling this last time may be it ,  just don't  know if I can go through it again.   I never say never though as a home is not a home without fur babies😿

Respected Contributor

So sad, I'm very sorry.
Honored Contributor

@AbbyK 

My heart and my deepest

condolences goes out to you and

your family on the sudden and

unexpected loss of your beloved

boy.

Please don't feel guilty because you

did nothing wrong.You had no idea that

Cody's heart was suddenly going to stop.

Find comfort in the fact that Cody

spent his last minutes running about

with his little brother after enjoying

his delicious breakfast so he was clearly

happy up until his sweet soul suddenly

took flight for The Bridge.

I will light a special memorial candle

for Cody on the pet loss dot com site.

Sending you comfort prayers and hugs.

(((((ABBYK)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=