Contributor

My 12 year-old Sheltie went off and died alone....

I am heartbroken, as is my whole family.  My other dogs, when it was their time, had us right beside them, holding their paw, and speaking to them in the Vet’s office.

He had had a recent check-up, was found to be healthy for a 12 year old.  Sunday, he was running around with my younger Sheltie dog, who’s two, and he was eating his meals, sleeping in his favorite dog bed.

Monday morning, my husband let them out after breakfast, like every other morning, in our fenced-in yard.  Nothing seemed wrong.  Jack, the two year old , came in first. 

They don’t always come in together.  After a half hour, my husband went looking for Cody, and found him in a woodsy part of my yard dead!!

I still can’t believe it!  I lost his younger brother two years ago around the same time to cancer.  He was only 8.  Took me ages to accept his death.

I just feel guilty because he was alone.....

Valued Contributor

Re: My 12 year-old Sheltie went off and died alone....

He wasn't alone.  He was outside running around with his bestie friend and he died having fun with his buddy.  It sounds like you took exquisite care of him.  

Esteemed Contributor

@AbbyK  I am so sorry for your loss of Cody.  Even though most pets seem to prefer being with their owners, maybe Cody went to a special place that he loved when he was out in the yard.  We all have special places where we like to be.  That probably was his.  Times like this are never easy.  My condolences.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss. It never gets easier. Perhaps he knew it would be so difficult for you and thought this way was best?

Sending you healing thoughts and prayers. 

Honored Contributor

@AbbyK    It's hard to accept but your baby may have had a heart attack and been gone very fast.  Think of it as an easier death than suffering through a disease or painful condition.  With pets, fatal condition can appear and progress very rapidly.

I'm very sorry this happened to you.  I know it must have been a shock.  Cody is now romping in the meadow's of heaven so all is well.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

😢 😢 😢

Honored Contributor

Oh please don't feel bad. Think of it as him going out on his own terms. People will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is natural for animals to go off on their own when they die. 

Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry.  Cody seems to have gone quickly and in his own way.  He knew you loved him whether you were there with him or not. (((Hugs)))

Honored Contributor

@AbbyK  So sorry for your loss.  It may have been all of a sudden for him and his heart stopped so don't feel guilty.  I know it is hard but your heart will heal.  Take care.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@AbbyK  Do not beat yourself up over the fact Cody was alone at passing.  Our companions try to protect us and perhaps this was his way of doing so for you.  You gave him 12 wonderful years and he would want you to be proud that you made a good home for him.  Virtual hug from myself and Toby