Honored Contributor

Re: My 10 year old Golden is very sick

@BBGirl wrote:
@SeaMaiden
I am a QVC shopper, but this is the very first time I am posting anything on this Forum. And it is actually because of you and what your beautiful Lola is going through that I am doing so!
You see, I have just gone through EXACTLY what you are experiencing with my beautiful almost 10 year old Golden diagnosed with GI cancer at the end of last July. And from the picture you posted of Lola our dogs could have been sisters. I did EVERYTHING you and all the other caring posters have recommended and described! She did so well, until she didn't. She gave me "the signal" you described - you know your dog best and we just locked eyes - her eyes, face, and expression told me everything I needed to know, so sadly, we let her go at home just 3 weeks to the day today.
After reading all these many posts, I felt that I could have written them all myself!! First and foremost, please know that you have my heartfelt empathy for what Lola and you are going through. I feel your pain. You have and want to continue doing everything you can to help her. My girl also would not eat and lost a lot of weight. And this was the main issue and unfortunately it is the cancer to blame. When you said "she acts like she wants to eat, but just doesn't" I can totally relate. IMHO, Lola is either nauseous, in pain, or both, and this is why she can't eat. So if you can, focus on getting those two things in check and it just might help. What helped us the most was getting her Cerenia injections and then a Cerenia pill daily - Cerenia does help!! She would take it in just plain Greek yogurt or even cottage cheese. As you know so well, the trick is getting any nutrition in them that you can - tuna, sardines, cold cuts, baby food - hand feeding anything also helps!! My vet also recommended Entyce which you give in a syringe to stimulate the appetite.
All that being said, I can tell you are doing EVERYTHING to help your beautiful girl. And let me tell you from what I just went through: LOLA KNOWS IT!! No matter what the outcome, you have loved her and cared for her and vice versa. THAT is what counts now and what will comfort you both.
I send my sincerest wishes for peace and love to you all and I will keep you in my thoughts ❤️ I'm so sorry this is happening again to another beautiful creature!!

@BBGirl   Your post was so touching to my heart.  We have Lola on The Cerenia 1/2 a pill daily... not the injections at this time. We have tries the Entyce liquid... it did not seem to help her eat at all... also tried a small tablet for the same thing... no remarkable improvements sadly... She froths at the mouth with the horrible taste of the Entyce... why couldn't they make it taste at least palatable? How did you dog like that given orally?

We go see the oncologist Tuesday... DH wants to go.   It looked like at least your baby would eat something... perhaps the doctor can help us with that. 

So sorry for the loss of your Golden. Can I ask if you had a mobil vet come to your home?  I think that is what I will do... I will let you know what the vet says after or Tuesday visit. Thanks so much for sharing.((Hugs)) 

Occasional Contributor

You're welcome ❤️
- My vet actually comes to the house, if requested. She gave up her free time on a Sunday afternoon and brought one of the Techs with her. Says a lot about her and gave me comfort. There are also mobile vets in my area (CT) that come out for this too.
- I was able to give her the Entyce in the syringe with no problems or foaming as you mentioned. It's funny how they all react a little differently to things.
- she liked me to hand fed her when her appetite diminished. I think the sight of a large bowl of food is too much for them in their condition. Small frequent portions were best, if at all possible.
- yes, the food tempting tricks and tips worked for a while, but little by little, her appetite became worse and worse. It's the hardest part of all as you are experiencing. Again, it was my experience that when you get the nausea/pain under control, the appetite should improve. so I would think that your oncologist will know what Lola is going through with this issue and perhaps he or she can put another protocol in place for you.
- again, I'm so sorry to read what you and Lola are going through. If it's any consolation, please know that it has helped me tremendously through my grief process knowing that there are so many others out there who have gone through or are going through this right now as you are. Only true pet lovers know the experience and the right things to say or do.

Please give your beautiful Lola a hug or pet from me in memory of my Bailey. They are so wonderful and deserving!
I wish you all the best of luck at the oncologist on Tuesday and sincerely hope that they can help your sweet girl.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   You were asking the other poster about the Vet coming to her house.  I've had two different Vets come to my house over the years.  They were with different practices but were my Vets.  I asked them if they would do it that way, and they did.  The Vet came with a Vet Tech, and it was very peaceful.  You might want to ask your Vet if he/she does this.

I've only done that twice.  Most of my dogs love going to the Vet so it was never stressful for them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Forgive me for being away for a few days--we've been having some trouble with our cat Frankie.  She has several chronic illnesses including severe arthritis and she's been struggling--we have to go to the vet tomorrow.

I'm glad that despite losing weight, Lola is enjoying quality time with you.  It's always about the quality, not the quantity, of time spent together--and I know that you know this, but do what my vet has always suggested in this situation:  cherish every day, pay attention to the smallest moments.

Prayers continue foryou, Lola and your family. 

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1   I'm so sorry to hear that your Frankie is having problems.  I know she has illnesses and am very sorry to hear that she's struggling right now.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

My thoughts are with you and Lola, wish I could bottle up some wonderful magic and send it to you.

You have gotten very good, loving advice here.  I haven’t seen, but have you tried lightly scrambled eggs?  They are a special treat in my home.  Also, helpful with pooping is a bit of olive oil.

My DH is the same, closes up.  It is SO lonely!  He does more than his share of medicating, coaxing, and creative care, but I need to talk, and cry.

I see that your Lola has a big loving heart, clearly she has been much loved and loved in return, so you will know when it is time.  

{{{hugs to Lola, You, and DH}}} ♥️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear sad news. We lost 3 dogs in less than 4 months. It broke my heart. We did our best to give them good food. They ate chicken & rice & loved raw carrots.They ate good dog food.  The sad thing is that dogs don't live as long as we would like. Up until last summer everything was going so well. They were all between 12 & 13 years old. We are in our 65+ range and decided our house was not a home without our furbabies. We got two Shih Tzu's a brother & a sister. They are almost 4 months old. We forgot how much work a puppy is. We are thrilled to have them. These will be our last babies. I pray your Golden makes progress & you know you gave her a wonderful life. I hope our's are waiting at the rainbow bridge for us. This makes 7 dogs for us as a family. Three were rescues. We loved them all! Please keep us posted. I will say prayers for Lola. 

Valued Contributor

I do think we over vaccinate dogs. Just like people! I'll be checking into this for our two new puppies! Thanks for the reminder!

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNackthanks for your kind words on our kitty Frankie.  I posted an update on the Schmoo thread, as I want the focus here to remain on Lola.Heart

@SeaMaidenhow is Lola today? Even as we were at the vet this afternoon with our cat, I was thinking of her, and you, and the upcoming appointment tomorrow with the oncologist. Please know our family's prayers continue for yours.  Let us know when you are able about the appointment and how you're all faring.  Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1    and everyone here who shared and cared.

We have decided to have the Mobil Vet come to our home today.  Saw no reason to go to the Onocologist vet.  We know the diagnois and to put Lola through anymore tests, or medications  to try to prolong her discomfort I see as selfish. I do not want her to get to the point of being miserable. She already is uncomfortable and unhappy.  She will not eat anything. She is getting so thin. She wags her tail for us.... but it is a sad wag....  It is a decision based on unselfish love VS keeping her going for US. 

The vet comes out today between 12 and 1 PM.  Afterwards, DH and I will bury her in grave site we have prepared.  next to the dog we lost last March.... ZaZu.  I am still grieving his loss. He was only 3 years old. Another wonderful dog we adopted.  We had him for almost 3 years and thought we would have him for many more.  Life is so unpredicable. You really do need to live day to day moment by moment. 

I will get back here tomorrow. Thanks everyone who shared and cared. 

~Sea Maiden~