Trusted Contributor

Saw an article in my local newspaper about this. Check your news sources for more details.

"At least 31 brands of dog food have been recalled because a drug used in euthanasia procedures was found in them.

The J.M. Smucker Company announced a voluntary recall of several of its canned dog-food offerings, including Gravy Train, Kibbles 'N Bits, Skippy and Ol' Roy after a Washington, DC television investigation revealed the food included pentobarbital.

Walmart has removed the products from all of its stores, WJLA-TV reported.

Last year, a California-based company recalled two kinds of its beef- and poutlry-related food over concerns about pentobarbital, which is a drug used to euthanize animals."

Respected Contributor

The brands you mentioned are low quality foods.  Ol' Roy the worst.  I'll check further for other brands.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs

Thank you for the heads up!

We can't be too careful when it comes to our furbabies food/treats!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think there was a recall for this same reason last year.  I don't remember what brands were affected, but I do remember they were contaminated with the same drug.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Terrible foods, if you feed those be ashamed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I signed on for emails for recalls . I have five rescues and three are seniors. Shame on anyone feeding these horrible dog foods brands they are garbage.Woman Mad

Respected Contributor

@apple1964wrote:

I signed on for emails for recalls . I have five rescues and three are seniors. Shame on anyone feeding these horrible dog foods brands they are garbage.Woman Mad

People buy what they can afford.  No one should have to think about will this sicken or kill my pet when buying something in a store.  Shame on the FDA, shame on us collectively for not demanding standards that preclude dangerous elements in food or treats.  Shame on the FDA for not having strict sampling standards for food/treat made abroad and for any ingredients that are imported.  Shame on companies like Smuckers who do not have standards in place to preclude this practice.  I went through the original horrible pet food crisis some years ago and it seems nothing has been learned by anyone.  Where is Senator Durban?  He was a huge voice at the time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabswrote:

Saw an article in my local newspaper about this. Check your news sources for more details.

"At least 31 brands of dog food have been recalled because a drug used in euthanasia procedures was found in them.

The J.M. Smucker Company announced a voluntary recall of several of its canned dog-food offerings, including Gravy Train, Kibbles 'N Bits, Skippy and Ol' Roy after a Washington, DC television investigation revealed the food included pentobarbital.

Walmart has removed the products from all of its stores, WJLA-TV reported.

Last year, a California-based company recalled two kinds of its beef- and poutlry-related food over concerns about pentobarbital, which is a drug used to euthanize animals."

How the heck does a drug used to euthanize animals end up in dog food? Is that being investigated?

Thanks for postng @LonestarBabs.

Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't Smuckers also make jelly? I don't use those dog foods and their jelly isn't great but I won't buy more!