Trusted Contributor

My Sister and Brother in Law's very much loved cat, Chelsea, has been missing, after, not coming home last night.  

Chelsea was a stray at an apartment complex, where they lived, years ago, they adopted her, and she is so loved and spoiled.  She's always been an indoor/outdoor kitty, but she usually stays close. 

I'm hoping you wonderful animal lovers, can share some prayers and good thoughts, that's she's OK and will get safely home.  

Thank You💕

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for Chelsea! Is there a neighborhood watch or blog near your sister? Pets often are missing in my neighborhood and neighbors list them online. They are usually found. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with @1Snickers, does their neighborhood have 'NextDoor.com'?

You can go to that site, enter your address and see if it does.

If not, I would put up flyers throughout their complex. Also ask any kids you know/see around the complex. Animals are a natural magnet for kids.

Neighbors are usually your best resource for missing pets.

Hope Chelsea comes home safe and soon!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I would also post on the 'Lost & Found' on Craigslist for your area, where you can post a picture.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@SuhseK 

Sending out prayers of protection to

precious Chelsea and also praying that

she comes home safe and sound ASAP.

Also hope that after this incident she

is kept inside 24/7. I never let my four

kitties outside (all rescues...had been

dumped/abandoned) and they are purr-fectly

happy with the arrangement.

(((((HeartCHELSEAHeart)))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Trusted Contributor

Re: Missing Pet Request

[ Edited ]

Thank You so much, everyone, great suggestions, which are being worked on. 

She's a sweet, feisty kitty. A semi feral, when rescued, years ago. 

So hoping she's alright, and comes home!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@beastielove wrote:

@SuhseK 

Sending out prayers of protection to

precious Chelsea and also praying that

she comes home safe and sound ASAP.

Also hope that after this incident she

is kept inside 24/7. I never let my four

kitties outside (all rescues...had been

dumped/abandoned) and they are purr-fectly

happy with the arrangement.

(((((HeartCHELSEAHeart)))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

@beastielove 

I agree, DD has 8 indoor rescues (formerly feral), she has an enclosed back porch where they can watch the birdies, butterflies, squirrels, etc., but they're safe and sound inside!

And the birdies/squirrels outside are safe from the cats too!

Valued Contributor
Sending prayers. Here are my suggestions:

Place her litter box outside the door she normally uses.

Post on their Nextdoor neighborhood site and local Facebook missing pet group. Place flyers in neighborhood.

Contact neighbors they know, asking that they check their garages and sheds.

Call the local humane society daily.

If available, set up a raccoon trap. Nothing smaller or she'll be able to back out. Bait it with a heavy dish that she cannot reach through and tip. Use her favorite food.

Once she is home, make her an indoor only cat. She may protest for a week but then won't care. I know from experience as I've trapped and rescued former ferals.

Good luck!
Respected Contributor

@SuhseKi, there's a good chance she'll come home on her own. Some good suggestions here. I'm sending prayers prayers for a safe return.

Contributor

I usually send out a iist which is specific to my area but the basics are the same. Hope it helps.

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR CAT IS LOST

1) Most frightened animals especially indoor cats out for the first time will not wander far from home. Enlist friends and neighbors to go door to door with flyers asking people to look for your pet. Ask them to look in garages or sheds that might have been open recently when your pet disappeared. Leave the flyer with them, in case they spot your pet they will have your contact information. Look for your pet around any woods, barns, store dumpsters, vacant lots and in any place they could be hiding. If they are frightened they will be looking for shelter, food and a quiet place to hide. Sometimes your neighbors may have seen your cat or dog but not known it was yours or that it was missing. Unfortunately people don't realize they are lost when they see them. They just assume they are outdoor animals. Indoor only cats are usually found very close to their home and a trap often needs to be set for them as they will not reveal their hiding place even to their owners. Humane traps can be purchased at any home improvement store. Use smelly canned tuna in the trap and set it near a place your cat could be hiding. You can also try putting out food or the litter box near your house to draw them out. Also you can contact lostmykitty.com and get flyers sent to local vets and shelters and can have them call your neighbors. Post on Steve Caporizzo’s Pet Connection.

2) Find the person in your neighborhood (every neighborhood has one) who takes in all the strays or is feeding stray cats outside. Frightened animals will go towards food and may stay there. Since frightened pets are sometimes unapproachable they may not realize this is someone's pet and assume it's a feral or an abandoned stray. Also this person may have seen your pet at the feeding stations.

3) Call the animal control officer in your area and in surrounding areas. If your pet is injured or killed they would likely know about it and they may have picked your cat or dog up.

4) Call the local shelters and humane societies. Also ask them when you call if there is anyplace else the cat or dog might have been taken. Not all municipalities contract with the local humane societies. Some contract with private kennels. Bring a flyer or picture of your pet and go to the shelters to look for your pet. They get hundreds of animals a week and can't remember every one of them.

5) Call or stop in to veterinarians in the area where you live and in surrounding areas. Put flyers up in the vets offices with your contact information. If someone does find your cat they may need medical attention. Also if someone has picked up your pet with the intention of keeping it they will likely take it to a vet as some point and the vet may help to reunite you with your pet. Visit the local 24 hour pet emergency clinics in Latham. They may have treated your pet if it was injured after hours or on the weekend. Again bring flyers.

6) Keep looking. Post hi-quality flyers in convenience stores, vet offices, supermarkets and other local places with high traffic. Post them on telephone poles and put them in mailboxes. Post in the newspaper and on Pet Connection. Most pets are returned to their owners.

7) Collars (with phone numbers written on them), identification tags and microchiping will all help in getting your pet back home if it gets lost again.