Respected Contributor

Re: Meet my new best friend.

Thanks @hyacinth003 for your post. I will definitely look into that. My lovebird has her days where she comes to me often and then others where she's a loner. But she never lets me pet or hold her. I have to find out how I would introduce a new lovie that's more tame without a problem. I do love my baby bird but I always wish we could be closer. 

Lovebirds are so pretty and so darn smart. I became a bird person for life. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

Thanks @hyacinth003 for your post. I will definitely look into that. My lovebird has her days where she comes to me often and then others where she's a loner. But she never lets me pet or hold her. I have to find out how I would introduce a new lovie that's more tame without a problem. I do love my baby bird but I always wish we could be closer. 

Lovebirds are so pretty and so darn smart. I became a bird person for life. 

My daughter tells me they don't like to be petted.  I know it's a natural instinct for us to want to do it.

Also, remember that you want the bond to be with YOU, not the other lovebird.  They tend to bond with each other, so you may have to keep them separate.  They also may fight.

She has had 3 non tame lovebirds, 2 came together.  The other one was gorgeous, but mean!  She has had 3 tame ones, all purchased from the place that hand raises them.  They sometimes purchase them very young so they can finish hand raising them for customers who want a tame lovebird.  They have a couple breeding pairs who raise them part way, then the people in the store take over for human interaction.

They definitely prefer my daughter!  I can handle them, but she is their person!  They follow her around, climb on her feet, pant leg and top.  They like Cheerios. 

Mellow Yellow is sweet, but he has been plucking himself.  We don't know why.  We spent hundreds of dollars at an avian vet to heal it up, but he keeps doing it.  We even gave him a couple females to try to see if that was the problem.  He more or less ignored them.  We don't know what to do anymore.  We have decided not to do any more treatment as he keeps going back to it.  Breaking our hearts.  Can't use a collar because he has hurt his neck too.  He is frequently bloody.  And he is just a great bird.  So we give him Cheerios and treat sticks in addition to his food so he gets enough to go on.  He is eating just fine.  Every day we think will be his last.

She also has a parrot (caique named Trixie).  She snuck these birds in and then told me about it with her father's help.  She has no money now so she cannot do it, as I FORBID more.  But I do like them.  Can you tell with my rambling?

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

SHe is a cutie pie.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Sunny-D,

Image result for so cute word images

Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz Such a pretty lady, she brings sniles to my face too!  I am so very sorry over the loss of Oliver, SunnnyD will never replace Oliver but I hope she brings you much happiness and beautiful smiled!

Esteemed Contributor

What a beautiful bird! Congratulations. Parakeets are great little clowns. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

She's just beautiful @kcladyz!  I'm so glad you got her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NycVixen we had two lovebirds for years. They never got friendly. They were Peach faced Lovebirds. They loved it when I put their cage outside in Summer and they could talk to the wild birds. They also laid eggs!! Nothing ever came of the eggs though. Both female.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Sunny-D truly is a ray of sunshine. Enjoy your new little love, just precious

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoJoV wrote:

@NycVixen we had two lovebirds for years. They never got friendly. They were Peach faced Lovebirds. They loved it when I put their cage outside in Summer and they could talk to the wild birds. They also laid eggs!! Nothing ever came of the eggs though. Both female.

Hi @MoJoV. Thanks for your reply. Mine is also a peach faced lovebird. At the end of August, it'll be a year since we rescued her right outside my building by a tree. I say 'she' but I really don't know if it's a girl or boy. So far, she hasn't laid any eggs. Is there a way to tell for sure it it's a girl or boy other than laying eggs?

She's gotten friendlier over the last year but she still doesn't trust me enough to allow any petting. She has flown to me on command a few times but never continuously. I was advised to clip her wings but I don't feel comfortable with that. Supposedly, since she can no longer fly, she'll be dependent on us and in turn she will learn to be docile. 

~Live with Intention~