Honored Contributor

@CamilleP 

Thank you for your concern and advice.  It's going to be a juggling act but we have the setup and space for this to work.

Both of my male dogs are not intact. Just one. And he's the one that's being aggressive and causing the fight between the fixed male and him. We have fenced acreage and a 25x25 ft annex (dog pen) separated by a fence and a large dog crate in the house.  Plus in the front yard there is a 40 ft lightweight cable for my inside dog.  Currently, it's raining and all three dogs are in the house. Non-fixed male is in the crate (in the house)and Frankie and the fixed male are in the house.  All is quiet and calm.  I can hear the ringing in my ears lol That's how quiet it is in the house with all three dogs.The only real problem with this scenario is my knee.  It's a juggling act for sure but we are adapting. I do have a question though if you don't mind. We are going to have the male non-fix dog fixed. He's between 6 and 7 years old. At this age will having him neutered stop the aggression.  Ask me how hard I'm biting my tongue and not saying anything to DH about not having his dog fixed years ago 🙄. So far she doesn't seem to have any anxiety over the thunder.  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   Your unneutered dog is getting more aggressive because Frankie is in heat.  He will get worse until he gets at her.

You need to keep them apart.  I would keep the unneutered dog in an area by himself where he can't escape. ( crate or dog run ) He is going to be one nasty fellow to everyone.

Your female is going to urinate more often and she might become aggressive as well. When the discharge stops, it doesn't mean the heat cycle is over.

Good luck.  You're going to need it.

Valued Contributor

@monicakm if you put Frankie on a cable, she will attract eligible males for miles around.  How do you know there has been no interaction thusfar?  Recommend you spay sooner rather than later.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I thought I had everyone convinced that the situation is under control.  Again, we have adequate room and set up for this situation.  Of course the unneutered dog and Frankie are separated. Frankie is in the house in a kennel.  When she has to go out,  unneutered dog will be placed in the 25 ft by 25 ft fenced area while she is in the rest of the acreage.  Sometimes the neutered dog will be with her and sometimes he will be out front on his 40 ft lightweight cable.  

Yes I am aware that the bleeding will stop before the heat cycle does. Diapers will be here tomorrow.  She will be spayed ASAP.

I'm certainly not the first person to go through this. We will get through it. I'd much rather go through this than to know that she was either run over, starved to death, or eaten by wolves.

My neutered dog is in bed with me, and neutered dog is in his igloo outside that is full of cedar shavings and Miss Frankie is in the house in a kennel. All is quiet and calm.

Honored Contributor

I don't have any plans to put Frankie on a 40-foot cable at this point. I might much later.  Right now that 40 ft lightweight cable is for our house dog. We don't let our dogs run free even though we could.  House dog Howie loves to go out there at night and I won't come in until I drag him in lol he has a cot out there on the porch but you can usually find him laying in the green grass or on the driveway. When he is not out front, he is in the back pasture.  How do we know there's been no interaction between our outside dog and Frankie? She's bleeding from her girly bits so I don't think she's been bred.   Unneutered dog and Frankie are being kept apart.  Like I mentioned, we are going to have her spayed ASAP.  At this point she is very timid and acts like she would just rather be invisible. This concerns me about what she came from. I would like for her to feel more confident and loved before dropping her off at yet another new location.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   Over the last 10 years or so, I have had 4 female dogs.  I don't get them spayed until after their first heat is over and they're at least 12 months old. One of my dogs went into her first heat at 4 months old....so she had two heats under her belt by the time she was 12 months old.

I can tell you it wasn't fun at our house and we have no male dogs.  I hope you have a better experience.  It sounds like you have a good grip on the situation.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm@Carmie 

or anyone here,

Could you tell me what is the reason for outside dogs?

I know there are outside cats that are strays and people end up feeding them, sometimes capturing and taking them to a rescue but I didn't know an outside dog was a normal thing unless people use them as guard dogs? or they were also strays that can't be captured, though if on a long leash they could be or are too used to being outside or something? Is there a reason they can't be indoor dogs or taken to shelters or rescues? 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay   I have never had an outside dog.  Mine sun themselves on the deck and get walked twice a day, but are normally inside lying in their soft beds or sitting on a lap.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@on the bay   I have never had an outside dog.  Mine sun themselves on the deck and get walked twice a day, but are normally inside lying in their soft beds or sitting on a lap.

@Carmie

That is where I think a dog should always be.

I guess I've never heard of outside dogs.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay   There are many outside dogs.  Herders and farmers use them.  They are working dogs.  Many breeds love to do this type of work and would not be comfortable indoors.

I  wouldn't want one of those breeds.  They would not be happy just laying around with me.

My passion is Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.  I have to keep a good watch on them.  They are an expensive breed and get stolen right out of people's yards and even from the home.