Respected Contributor

wrote:

Have you ever thought that a dog could pick up habits of the owner?  My husband is retired and 4 years ago we got a pup.  Since I raised all the other dogs we've had I said he can do it this time.  Well my husband is a couch potato and honestly the dog is the same way.  He does take him for an hour walk and then they both lay on the couch and watch tv.  This is the 6th dog of this breed and they can be a terror getting into everything.  The dog is sweet and honestly he's like an older dog.  He plays but not like any other dog I've had.  Usually they never grow up like other dogs.  I'm not complaining since he is a very sweet dog but I wish he would play more and do more.  The dog was crate trained when we got him and he is still crate trained but won't ever go in it during the day.  I'm thinking they are like two peas in a pod.  I have taught the dog commands and he listens well.  I wanted a puppy and got a retired dog.  Anyone else notice a dog that is just like the owner. 

Whenever I suggest to my husband what to do as far as training he thinks I know nothing.  Believe me I've had 2 adults and 5 puppies here at one time and I do know how to take care of this breed.   I kept 2 pups so had 4 of the breed until they got old and died at 14 and 16.  Most friends thought I was crazy to have 4.  

@kismet

Sounds like you need to trade in your husband!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivianwrote:

I absolutely agree that dogs take after their pet parents. My husband and I have been retired for nine years. We lost our beloved beagle Penny about four years after we retired. I finally got my husband to agree to adoption of a slightly older female beagle (3 years old). I found her at a rescue shelter about 3 1/2 hours from home. She had lived with an elderly couple who could no longer take care of her. 

Maddie bonded with us immediately. She is the most loving, lovable beagle we have ever had. My husband or I walked her twice a day but with my knee replacement surgery, Maddie seems to prefer hanging around with me on the couch than taking her daily walks with my husband. It has come to the point where she pulls him back toward the house and immediately jumps on the couch as soon as she has done her business. Maybe when the weather warms up and I can take walks with her she will change, but I doubt it. 

IMHO, @Vivian, Maddie knows you are "sick" and is "protecting" you. Girl dogs, particularly "mother" their mommies.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

You got that right Kismet.

Our dog would follow us around. BUT when my husband retired - it changed into hyper-drive. My husband as soon as he moves the dog is following him. No matter what my husband is doing the dog is 2 feet away. If my husband is taking a shower, dog is right outside the bathroom. As soon as my husband moves, the dog wakes up and waits to see what my husband is doing. The dog truly is my husband's shadow.

@drizzellla, Eddy lays next to the tub - after I've laid down the tub mat for him - has even snored while I showered!  His official name is Shadow-Jaden, but he preferred Eddy.  Guess the rescue got it right when they named him Shadow!

Valued Contributor

Re: Master and Dog?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the replies.  I was ready for a dog that got into trouble every day, did the opposite of a command and gets into the trash in every bathroom.  I knew all the negatives about this breed and I got a cocker spaniel.  I was leaning toward a cocker spaniel because we're retired.  Here's the breed, notice the description.  Nowhere does it say couch potato.  He is the second dog I got from this breeder cause she is no much into temperment.  She said as a pup he was a couch potato, my daughter said well he's coming to the right home. He has to lean on you on the couch, I call him Velcro

Basenji
Dog breed
The Basenji is a breed of hunting dog. It was bred from stock that originated in central Africa. Most of the major kennel clubs in the English-speaking world place the breed in the Hound Group—more specifically, in the sighthound type. Wikipedia

Life span: 12 – 16 years
Temperament: Playful, Affectionate, Intelligent, Alert, Energetic, Curious