Honored Contributor

Marine reunites w/Blind IED Dog 6 Years Later!

Love really is blind!Heart

Video has captured the touching moment a former IED detection dog and his Marine Corps handler reunited after six years apart.

David Herrera, 29, of Oceanside, California, hadn't seen Kash N060 since their deployment to Afghanistan.

The nine-year-old dog, who is now blind, recognized his former partner by scent and is seen jumping around, running through Herrera's legs, and wagging his tail in joy.

Herrera told DailyMail.com: 'It was very heart felt moment. I never thought I would see him again.'

Herrera said he heard from an old friend that Kash was in retirement, and had been adopted by a handler in Texas.

During a trip to visit his family in Texas this month, Herrera said he wanted to reach out to reunite with

Kash.

'He came up to me and started rubbing his head against me,' Herrera said. 'At first, he was looked a little hesitant, but it made sense.

'He was trying to smell who was there, and once he knew it was me, he was so excited. I didn't even know he was blind until afterwards.

'I'm just glad I got to see him again after so long.'

Herrera and Kash were deployed to Afghanistan in 2010 (pictured) to detect and clear the roads of IEDs. Once they returned to the US, they were separated and the dog was sent to train with a new handler

The nine-year-old dog - now blind - was 'hesitant' around his partner (pictured during reunion)

Video and more story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4614374/Former-handler-reunites-blind-IED-detection-doG.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Marine reunites w/Blind IED Dog 6 Years Later!

Awww, that story is very heart wrenching.  I wonder if the dog was blinded in the line of duty?  It's great that a handler adopted him. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Marine reunites w/Blind IED Dog 6 Years Later!

🐶😢

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"