Honored Contributor

Mama Gorilla Cradles, Kisses Newborn

Astonishing photographs and video from the National Zoo show the first interaction between a mother gorilla and her newborn baby.

First-time mother Calaya gave birth to her son, Moke - pronounced mo-KEY - a western lowland gorilla, on Sunday at the Smithsonian National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute in Washington, D.C.

The astonishing gorilla birth was the first in nine years to take place at the zoo. Zoo officials captured the special moment, which was shared to the zoo's website as well as social media on Monday morning.

'We're thrilled to share western lowland gorilla Calaya gave birth to a male at 6:25 p.m. 4/15. His name, Moke, means "junior" or "little one" in the Lingala language,' the National Zoo wrote to their Twitter page.

Primate staff at the Smithsonian National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute are celebrating the firs birth of a male western lowland gorilla in nine years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5622371/Incredible-photographs-gorilla-cradle-kiss-newborn-b...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mama Gorilla Cradles, Kisses Newborn

The video is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Cue the waterworks. That was amazing. 

Honored Contributor

Mama even knows to support his neck when she picks him up.  I wonder what they did to prepare her for raising a baby?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Oh my gosh, that was so adorable.  I've never seen anything like that.  Gorillas are amazing!

Super Contributor

Yes, this was so precious to see.  I am fortunate to live near the San Diego Zoo Safari 

Park and visit often.  we have a gorilla family of 8, having lost Vila, a 60 year old, just a couple of months ago.  The youngest is Leslie, born Oct. 19, 2016.  It is a privilege to observe the interactions between all of these individuals as they play with and care for each other.  They are always in their enclosure together because if anyone is missing, they all worry.  It took awhile to readjust after Vila’s loss.  We have more in common than we ever thought.

Honored Contributor

http://i.myniceprofile.com/672/67266.gif

Honored Contributor

I saw that on Facebook this morning.  It's a wonderful video.  Smiley Happy

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau