Esteemed Contributor

Re: MY FURRYBABY HAS CANCER - LAST UPDATE

Golden locks, So happy to hear that little Jade has such a good appetite.  What a good mommy you are!  We are all so happy she is feeling well and able to enjoy her gourmet meals!  Speaking for all your friends who love fur people, we think of you and pray for you.  Please continue to update us about you and precious Jade.  All my best.

Trusted Contributor

How wondeful to see Jades appitite has improved!!  And what great healthy meals you are making for her!! You both are so lucky to have each other!!!  Always blesed when our ill furbabes have a good day!!!

Super Contributor

Goldenlocks, I really feel your pain. I took my 10 year old bichon Chloe to Tufs on Monday. They suspected a mass behind her eye and a CT scan there confirmed this on Thursday. We are waiting for biopsy results but the doctor suspects osteosarcoma. News like this is so devastating, almost unbearable. I will be thinking of you and Jade and praying for comfort and strength. Just so sorry! Just wish this nightmare would go away.! Give Jade lots of kisses!
Honored Contributor

I understand. I am going through something similar with my own dog. Just enjoy the time left, and make them comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

@bichon mom

It is devastating - praying for you and Chloe tooHeartHeart

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I just wanted to let everyone know that Jade had her first acupuncture treatment yesterday afternoon.  Friday had started out as a rough day but she appeared somewhat better after the session.  She was a very good patient - even letting the doc put a needle in her nose (which was done to increase her appetite since she did not want to eat).  While the needles were in we went over diet.  In Chinese medicine, cancer is considered hot and must be treated with cold (if I got that right!).  Dr. Fine recommended home-cooked meals:  40% vegetables (preferably fresh), 30% meat and 30% fish (recommending canned salmon over canned tunafish 'cause it's got more fishoils).  Jade can also have a little milk (I already get organic skim) and yogurt just because she really loves them.  Imagine a dog loving a bowl of milk!! - my babygirl does!

This morning I sauteed a smashburger just in a little mexican sea salt and cracked black pepper.  Since I only had frozed green beans, I nuked them then removed the burger and sauteed the "mashed" green beans in the burger juice with a little tamari, added the "powdered" pills with the beans and burger and Voila! she devoured it!  (a/k/a she really, really enjoyed it!  Tonite, salmon burgers from the Q will be on her menu!

Don't mean to bore you - you've all been so wonderful to us - but, I'm just so happy to see Jade visibly feeling better and happier and had to share!  I no diet and acupuncture will not cure this dreadful disease.  But, seeing her sooo much better and happier just makes it all easier to process.  Again, thank you for being so kind and loving to us. 

Oh thanks for telling us that Jade is feeling a bit better and eating. I wanted to share with you that most dogs love sweet potatoes and pumpkin. You can just buy solid pack canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) My nephew dogs get a couple of tablespoons mixed into their food at dinner time every day. Whenever the family has sweet potatoes, my SIL cooks extra for JJ and Henry.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

@betteb

Thank you.  I will pick some up.  However, we had a bad nite and she will not eat this morning - c/n even tempt her with Lay's potato chips (her favorite, which she wanted yesterday!).  It's a rollercoaster ride - just hope she snaps back and starts eating again.  When she's hungry she eats quite well:  when not hungry, can't get anything into her, which makes it near impossible to give her meds to her.  But, thanks for your advice; gotta think positive!

Esteemed Contributor

@wellergirl wrote:

We lost our beautiful16 year old beagle girl, Sally, in June.  Similiar situation, we did hospice with her, as well, and will never regret doing that for her.  Cherish your time together, I wish you both peace.

I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you lost your fur girl Sally.  I am sure your girl is at peace now, playing in a field of flowers, with all our little ones who passed over the bridge.

I have lost too many and said "Never Again" each time a fur angel passed. The pain was so raw.  But, as fate would have it, I would learn about some little kitty who needed a good home...and I was "off to the races."  That's how we came to adopt Lily, a Maine Coon who was retired young from a breeder.  My sister-in-law knew this lady and told her, "I've got the perfect home for her."  Yup, it was us.  How could we refuse?  Two years later, she is queen of the house and queen of our hearts.  We are two old retired people, and I think we spoil her...just a bit!  She makes us laugh all the time.

Respected Contributor

Goldenlocks, I've lost two dogs to osteosarcoma, and my experience has been that, if they stop eating, the pain is intense!  Please limit your dog's movement and be on the lookout for traumatic fracture, which will mean an emergency race to the vet for immediate euthanasia.  I am so very sorry you are facing this terrible cancer in your furbaby, it's a truly horrible form of cancer!

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry to read this, sorry for your sweet girl and sorry for your breaking heart, @eddyandme.  Even though it doesn't make anything easier, be comforted in knowing you did the best you could to provide a loving, happy life.  Spoil her in these last days and hold her close for as long as you can.