Super Contributor

I have been on this forum before and have posted about my 13.6 year old bichon named Chloe.  Chloe has has many medical issues,  She had cancer and one eye was removed followed by 30 days of radiation.  She has also been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease, heart disease and a collapsed trachea.  She is coughing more due to the collapsing trachea.  She has been treayed at Tufts as well as my local vet.

Anyway, almost 3 weeks ago, she attempted to jump into the garage and her back legs missed and slammed against the riser.  She began to limp immediately,

When I took her to the vet about a week later they said thre was alot of swelling.  They took xrays and thought a torn ACL.  Gave her anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds.

Took her back this past Friday.  Swelling had gone down so they were able to see and feel more.  They said she has a torn AC,. torn mimiscus, and a luxation patella.  The vet said she needed surgery bu unsure what to do because of her medical issues.  She will be consulting with Tufts to get input as whether she is a candidate.

I really don't want to put her through more surgery,  I am terrified of losing her.  But I also don.t want her in pain.  She cannot stay on anti-inflammator meds because of her Cushing'.s,

I am feeling so down.  Have been online looking for alternatives.  

Anyone have similar experience?  I love my baby so much! Any input? TIA

Honored Contributor

I had a miniature poodle that took off after a cat in my yard just as I was letting him outside.  Surgery was $1500, about 12 years ago.  He still had occasional flare-ups afterwards.  That's a lot of money to spend on an animal with a limited life expectancy.   We love our pets dearly but unless you have an unlimited budget, it must be a consideration.  You're going to have a difficult decision to make.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@bichon mom My heart breaks for you and for the decisions you have to make regarding Chloe and what is best for her.

My beloved Westie was named Max.  Max lived to be over 15 and had a happy life until the last few years.  Life just took it’s toll.  I had to finally make the decision that I was keeping Max alive because I couldn’t let go.  It just finally came to me that enough was enough.  That was 5 years ago and I still miss him.  But I know I did the right thing.

Each situation is different.   I believe you will know when it is time to say goodbye.  

Compassionate thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

Super Contributor

So sorry this has happened.

My 140 pound DDB completely tore her right ACL and partially tore her left ACL ... at the same time. Because of her age and other health issues and price (estimate was $8000 - $10000) - I decided to try other options before surgery. Her regular vet put her on Metacam for pain/anti-inflammatory and I found a local vet who used chinese meds and acupuncture. Within a few days she was limping, but putting full weight on both of her back legs and within a few weeks she wasn't even limping anymore. Surgery avoided and she was as active as ever for the last few years of her life. The combination of eastern and western treatments worked wonders for my girl and I highly recommend you see if a vet in your area does acupuncture/Chinese medicine.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@bichon momIf she's not a candidate for surgery or if you decide not to do it, you should ask your vet about giving her turmeric for inflammation and gabapentin for pain management.  My 7 year old lab mix had a partial ACL tear when she was 3.  We had the  surgery and the recovery was very hard on her.  She partially tore the other ACL a couple of years later.  Rather than having the surgery again, I limited her activity and started her on turmeric.  My vet later prescribed gabapentin as an altermative to rimadyl.  She has been doing very well with this regimen.  Best wishes to you and your pup!

Valued Contributor

I have been watching the Dr Jeff marathon this weekend.  He explains that the animals only put 20% of their weight on each back leg.

I know it seems so extreme but considering your babies age and difficulties you might check into amputation.  Very little recovery time. 

The animals are up and running the next day with non of the after effects of the ACL healing.

Also, I know it sounds prehistoric now, but I worked for several vets years ago where all types of surgeries were done with not one anti-inflamatory given.

If the animals suffered you sure could not see it in their eyes or their behavior.  I was always amazed by their recovery, but then, I have had 2 major surgeries back in the day and was never offered any meds either.

Very best wishes.

Respected Contributor

Bichon Mom, I am so sorry for your Chloe, it's harder than hard when our elders are in pain!  I have never had a dog with a torn ACL, but an aquaintance of mine who has a yellow Labrador who has had two torn ACL's and had surgeries for them.  When Jody re-tore her right ACL last spring, her owner opted not to do another surgery, and instead she got a special leg brace for her.  Jody slowly recovered capacity and only limps a little bit now.  She's not as strong as she used to be, but she's not a young dog any more, and her owner is happy with her level of recovery.  You might ask your vet about bracing and physical therapy such as swimming, to see if that might help Chloe. 

Regarding her Cushing's, what medicine is she taking for it, and is her cortisol level well-controlled?  If her cortisol is still elevated, that will slow her healing from any surgery, and indeed poorly controlled Cushing's can lead to injuries such as Chloe's torn ACL and meniscus, so you should discuss Chloe's cortisol control status with her vet before any surgery.

I wish you the best of luck treating Chloe's injuries!!!

Honored Contributor

@bichon mom

Sending Hugs  and  Prayers for you and Chloe.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@bichon mom wrote:

I have been on this forum before and have posted about my 13.6 year old bichon named Chloe.  Chloe has has many medical issues,  She had cancer and one eye was removed followed by 30 days of radiation.  She has also been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease, heart disease and a collapsed trachea.  She is coughing more due to the collapsing trachea.  She has been treayed at Tufts as well as my local vet.

Anyway, almost 3 weeks ago, she attempted to jump into the garage and her back legs missed and slammed against the riser.  She began to limp immediately,

When I took her to the vet about a week later they said thre was alot of swelling.  They took xrays and thought a torn ACL.  Gave her anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds.

Took her back this past Friday.  Swelling had gone down so they were able to see and feel more.  They said she has a torn AC,. torn mimiscus, and a luxation patella.  The vet said she needed surgery bu unsure what to do because of her medical issues.  She will be consulting with Tufts to get input as whether she is a candidate.

I really don't want to put her through more surgery,  I am terrified of losing her.  But I also don.t want her in pain.  She cannot stay on anti-inflammator meds because of her Cushing'.s,

I am feeling so down.  Have been online looking for alternatives.  

Anyone have similar experience?  I love my baby so much! Any input? TIA

Our Bichon Stanley who is almost thirteen had the same thing three years ago. He had the surgery and it was $3000 but he did great and it was worth every cent. He does not have any health problems though and our vet says he is in amazing condition to be almost thirteen. I hope Chloe is feeling better soon and they can help her. I know it is hard when our beloved family members are suffering.

Super Contributor

Thank you to all of you who responded.  I appreciate all of your suggestions.

Right now I am going to supplement with glucosomine and turmeric as well as limit activity.

She is putting weght on leg but we are mostly carrying her.  

Still waiting to hear from Tufts.  Just really worried abou my baby!