Super Contributor

Need help!  My dog (is two years old - had since puppy) is in my kitchen (behind gate) all day while I am at work, with my older dog.  He is peeing all over the place!!

I  had him in a crate for the last several months, that worked out pretty good, because they say that they wont pee/poop where they live, but he was always able to get out of the crate!  No matter what crate type we purchased, he foun a way to escape.

And I hated the look of the crate, but leaving him in my kitchen, he is destroying it with PEE !

HELP!!   NEED SUGGESTIONS

Respected Contributor

Re: MY DOG CANT STOP PEEING!!

I would go to the vet and make sure everything is alright before anything.  

Honored Contributor

Take him to the Vet.  He could be diabetic.

If no medical problems, get him a stronger crate and have someone stop in to let him out while you are at work...or come home at lunch time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is he emptying his water bowl constantly? I know my dog will pretty much

drink the full bowl if I filled it to the top.

I give her water all throughout the day. I just won't leave too much out in her

bowl. Just wondering if he is drinking way too much.

Honored Contributor

Dogs can't go all day without peeing.  Someone needs to come in and let him out in the middle of the day.  Also, it sounds like he could have a urinary tract infection or diabetes.  I would take him to the Vet and rule that out.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@qvc chickI'd make a Vet appointment because he might have a UTI or some other problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Has he always done this since he was a puppy?

Must ask...was he potty trained?

You say he always gets out of the crate. If there's something medically wrong, he may want to get out of the crate to pee.  But, he also might want to get out because the other dog is not in a crate.

Is this dog very territorial and or trying to be dominant? There could be something going on between him and the other dog. Is your older dog male or female? This can happen between two males.

What breed is the dog?  Some are more difficult to housebreak.

He needs a medical exam first to make sure something isn't wrong.  

If there are no medical conditions, it sounds like you need to start over with potty training and a crate he can't get out of.  It's going to be more difficult training him since you are at work all day. 

Use something specifically for dog urine to wash your kitchen floor to remove the odor.  Dogs will return to those spots thinking it's OK to pee there. 

Let us know how you are doing. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please get to vet asap!  This could be any number of medical reaspns from a UTI, to diabetes, and worse to bladder cancer which my baby had.  It is imperative to seek medical testing & treatment.  Good luck to your pup & you.

Also, if this is does not turn out to be a medical issue, a dog should not be expected to remain crated for long periods of time without needing to go.  Maximun I ever left my dog in the house alone was 4 hours.  Possibly a dog walker or doggy day care is needed or reconsider your decision to have this pup.  Hoping it is not a serious medical issue.

Super Contributor

First off, I DO have someone come into my house while I am at work.  I have a dog walker.  She comes around 12:30 each day, and spends 10 min or so with each dog.  So he pees at that time.

I leave my house at 6:30am, and dog walker comes at 12:30, and I return home at 5pm.

Sometimes this happens while I am gone only two hours.  He was potty trained, pretty good, but then again, he was in a crate!  He didn't mess up the crate, for the most part.  It's when I took him out of crate, and let him have the run of the kitchen.

He is a two year old Border Colllie mix.  A log of energy.

Before you say, he needs to be walked again, I can not afford it!!  Once a day is all I can afford.

Maybe I will cut back on the water bowl during the day.

Super Contributor

That is the first sign he could be diabetic.  Easily diagnosed and medicated.  Good luck with your sweet puppy.