Esteemed Contributor

Re: MY DOG CANT STOP PEEING - PART 2

@Foxxee 

Agreed, no one's taken the time and effort to house break this dog. Owner seems to expect the crate to do it for her.

Worse, it appears this dog doesn't recognise owner as alpha. Is it any surprise then it hasn't developed the desire to conform it's behavior to please the owner?

Dog trainers know it's really 20% training the dog, and 80% training the people the dog interacts with.

Esteemed Contributor

Using the term "alpha" or any of those training methiods are no longer accepted in the dog training community.  It is like corporal punishment in school.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick, do you know what time of night the peeing happens?  What time is his "last out"?  Between the time you get home from work and bedtime how many times is he taken out and for how long?

When taken out male dogs rarely empty their bladder in one pee.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Substitute your favorite term @CrazyDaisy . The pack hierarchy remains the same.

No idea what you refer to with the phrase "Those training methods".

Are you under the impression I'm advocating corporal punishment?

Far, far from it.

This dog 'don't get no respect' and is essentially giving owner the middle finger.

They need to start over like it's day one and hopefully both are willing to do the work to get it right the second time around.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick  @x Hedge  I think you are correct Hedge.  I know friends who had one and it had behavior problems. She had it outside and it was herding ants. They need a job!

Is it possible to set up a training course where the dog goes around things? They have some things at pet stores. Even a ball that you throw with a long stick like my Granddaughter does for her Lab.

My Jack Russells will invent games, like “kill the laundry basket” and shut the doors (including cabinets). They are walked at least four times daily and have a dog run. 

A fence with a doggy door would be great for you.

Super Contributor

I agree on the belly bands.  They work great for males.  If it's a girl, you can buy regular baby diapers, say Size 2 for about a 10-11 lb dog, etc.  Cut out a space for her tail on the side that doesn't have the tabs.  It works great and prevents those accidents that don't make anyone happy. 

Trusted Contributor

You think you have problems: I can’t stop pp’ing either. I cough or sneeze and I pp…all over myself.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

@qvc chick so you've ruled out anything physical which points to this being a behavioral issue.

As I recall the behavioral was already addressed in your first thread.

I believe posters already pointed out your expectations are completely unrealistic.

This breed is not going to be content to be left alone in a confined space with nothing to do for roughly12 hours a day, day after day.

It just isn't.

This breed needs lots of attention and endlessly changing stimulation, like the doggie day care someone suggested. 

Having someone stop in for a few minutes is not sufficient.

Posters are going over ground that's already covered.

For reference, here is your first thread:

MY-DOG-CANT-STOP-PEEING

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ T H I S ! ! ! ! ^ ^ ^ ^ 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

I seriously suggest you rehome the dog to someone that has more time and energy to train it.  This is just not fair to the dog.  

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Foxxee 

Agreed, no one's taken the time and effort to house break this dog. Owner seems to expect the crate to do it for her.

Worse, it appears this dog doesn't recognise owner as alpha. Is it any surprise then it hasn't developed the desire to conform it's behavior to please the owner?

Dog trainers know it's really 20% training the dog, and 80% training the people the dog interacts with.

@x Hedge 

@qvc chick 

"Dog trainers know it's really 20% training the dog, and 80% training the people the dog interacts with."

Isn't that the truth!

With the high intelligence and trainability of Border Collies, this dog could have been house broken in no time.  Training owners often takes a   l..o...o...o...n...g   time. 

Yes, dogs see their owners and families as pack members.  They will jockey for dominance.