Super Contributor

MY DOG CANT STOP PEEING - PART 2

So I took my dog to the vet.  He had a check up (all  normal) and a urine specifiman performed.

They called me back today, Urine is completely normal.

So not sure what to do now, he wet the bed again last night.  this happens a few times a week

Trusted Contributor

Re: MY DOG CANT STOP PEEING - PART 2

Does your dog seem to be drinking an excess of water?

Esteemed Contributor

Has something really different been added to dog's life - like a new kitty or puppy?  (I'm not familiar with your previous postings)

Super Contributor

No, I have two dogs, and they have been together since day one.

I also have a cat, same thing, they have always been together.

He does seem to drink a lot of water, but so does my other dog. 

I'm not sure where the cut off is, from normal to excessive.

I think maybe he is just getting very lazy???????

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

No, I have two dogs, and they have been together since day one.

I also have a cat, same thing, they have always been together.

He does seem to drink a lot of water, but so does my other dog. 

I'm not sure where the cut off is, from normal to excessive.

I think maybe he is just getting very lazy???????

Wetting the bed is not a sign of a lazy dog.  No animal wants to sleep in its own urine.  What other tests did the vet suggest?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@qvc chick I don't have answers as to why this is happening, but I have an old boy who started peeing in the house in February.  He hadn't peed in the house in over 14 years!  

No infection.  I got him Belly Bands (Pet Parents Brand.... non-disposable) and a cranberry supplement.  The Belly Bands are the best!  He now only has one or two "accidents" a week, and they are contained in the band.  

I have five bands (they come in packages of 3, but the dog sitter lost one).  I change them every day or two, even when not soiled.  I usually hand wash, but will put them in the washing machine, inside a lingerie bag, and with the velcro closure closed, pad side out.  I don't put them in the dryer.  

These bands are a game changer for me.  I couldn't tolerate the puddles, but wasn't going to give my boy up or put him down.  He's 14.5 years old, and one of the loves of my life!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Wetting the bed is not a sign of a lazy dog.  No animal wants to sleep in its own urine.  What other tests did the vet suggest?

@qvc chick ... I agree with @CrazyDaisy  .  You might want to try another vet to get to the crux of the problem.  .... But DO pick up some Belly Bands until you figure it out!

Esteemed Contributor

I always have German Shepherd dogs but have experienced the "wetting" problem with two of them. The first was our female who would wet the bed when she got too warm. I think she didn't even realize that she was wetting and thought she was sweating. She was very good all the time until we got into the summer months.

The second was our male who had health issues and  seperation anxiety. He would "wet" if I worked overtime or if it stormed, etc. Then he would fret because he had pottied inside the house. The best progress I made with him was to give him a designated indoor potty spot near the side door. They have some decent products in the pet stores for this issue and it protects your floors. That helped him quite a bit.

Some dogs seem to have a bladder control issue as they age. They just can't seem to hold it like when they were younger. There is no infection or problem but the hold time has changed. 

Dogs will get warmer before people so is it cool where they are? I know that I like the house cool but our dogs still want a lower temp. I put  a fan in their area and set the timer for the warm months. This seems to help them cope with having all that fur.

Hope one of these help with your situation. Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick 

What bed?  Your bed or your dog's bed in the crate? 

If it's your bed, a few days ago, your dog was breaking out of his crate,  urinating in the kitchen while you were at work and when you "let him out of the crate into the kitchen."  If he's peeing on your kitchen floor, in your bed, or anywhere in the house, he's not housebroken. 

You might have missed my previous post on Part 1.  Here it is.

MY DOG CANT STOP PEEING!![ Edited ]

@qvc chick 

"He was potty trained, pretty good, but then again, he was in a crate!  He didn't mess up the crate, for the most part.  It's when I took him out of crate, and let him have the run of the kitchen."

Sounds like he never was housebroken. Dogs not messing in their crates doesn't make them housebroken.  They normally don't mess in their own quarters even when they are not housebroken unless they can't hold their urine and feces, or the crate is too large. 

The secret to housebreaking is you never want to allow the dog to pee or poop in the house anywhere...ever. 

Crate training requires taking the dog outside periodically every day to potty, then back into the crate.  I took my pups out every 2 hours.  Your dog is an adult and at two he should be able to hold his urine much longer, but since he's not housebroken, he will go when he has to go.  You won't be able to do that during the day since you are at work, but you can in the evening and weekends.  Don't let the dog walk around anywhere in the house until housebroken.  

Your dog is already used to peeing in the kitchen and has done it when you weren't there to catch him in the act.  So, he thinks it's OK, the kitchen is where he's supposed to pee.  

Is he also having bowel movements in the kitchen?  When does he eat and how often?  He should be going outside immediately afterwards until he pees and poops. 

You need to scrub your kitchen floor to remove all urine odor and keep it odor free.

Make sure he is in a fool proof crate so that he can't get out.  Take him out first thing in the morning.  Have your dog walker take him out and give him a good run.  Border collies need lots of activity.  As soon as you get home, out again several times in the evening.  Always keep him in the crate when you are home until he is housebroken.  Overnight, too.  You must be consistent and persistent.  Always praise him lavishly when he does his business outside.  

After a week or two, confine him to the kitchen, floor free of urine odor, when you are home on a weekend, but still make sure he is going out periodically.  Watch his every move and if he looks like he's about to go, tell him "no" and put him outside.  Stand there with him until he goes.  Praise him.  Unfortunately, because you work, you won't be able to trust him during the day, so it's back into the crate on Monday until he has no accidents in the evenings and on weekends.  

I suggest you look up on the internet how to crate train a dog.  

From what you say, this doesn't sound like a medical problem, but you might want to have him checked out anyway.  

Good Luck.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick so you've ruled out anything physical which points to this being a behavioral issue.

As I recall the behavioral was already addressed in your first thread.

I believe posters already pointed out your expectations are completely unrealistic.

This breed is not going to be content to be left alone in a confined space with nothing to do for roughly12 hours a day, day after day.

It just isn't.

This breed needs lots of attention and endlessly changing stimulation, like the doggie day care someone suggested. 

Having someone stop in for a few minutes is not sufficient.

Posters are going over ground that's already covered.

For reference, here is your first thread:

MY-DOG-CANT-STOP-PEEING