Honored Contributor

MOLLY THE BEAGLE GOES TO DAYCARE

In an attempt to wean her away from her almost 14 yr. old beagle housemate, Molly will be attending daycare twice a week. According to vet, she needs to gain some distance and independence for the inevitable day Sadie crosses over to Rainbow Bridge.E9192EB8-17ED-41F3-A5AE-46DE5635B88F.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MOLLY THE BEAGLE GOES TO DAYCARE

I hope Molly enjoys her daycare experience!  I wonder why your vet feels this way, though.  I had two dogs who were extremely close for 9 or so years.  The younger one had never known a home without the older dog, and yet when my older dog passed, she didn't even seem to notice.  (Of course, I know she did, but my point is that her behavior did not change in any way.  She did not appear sad or depressed.)

I hope that once Sadie passes, the transition will not be a difficult one for Molly.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

my sister had two Yorkie mixes (they were sisters, both 14 years) and when one of them passed, the other one got very sad. Crying all the time and she required lots of attention. She is doing better now and has gotten very spoiled in her old age. It’s been about 6 months since the other one passed and baby girl is finally doing better. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I hope Molly enjoys her daycare experience!  I wonder why your vet feels this way, though.  I had two dogs who were extremely close for 9 or so years.  The younger one had never known a home without the older dog, and yet when my older dog passed, she didn't even seem to notice.  (Of course, I know she did, but my point is that her behavior did not change in any way.  She did not appear sad or depressed.)

I hope that once Sadie passes, the transition will not be a difficult one for Molly.  

@Citrine1. That has been my experience also.  My dogs have lived together for years; some were very chummy.  However when one died nobody else even seem to notice.  There has never been any mourning or any behavior that indicated the deceased dog was missed.  This over a lifetime of having dogs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Aww thats sad to think about. But I dont know if daycare days would make a,difference if Molly did miss her buddy. Molly is very cute and that Boston Terrier in the pic. brought back memories of my sweet Boston Terriers. They are a great breed. Love dogs 💞

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Citrine1  Long story short, my Dad had cancer when we picked up Molly at 10 wks. from the breeder. We were only w/ her for 2 wks. to bond before my father took an unexpected turn for the worse. Being close enough to visit often, both dogs needed to be kenneled quite often during those crucial bonding months. Molly didn’t even have her puppy shots at first & had to be crated alone in the kennel office as a favor to us under the circumstances. After that, over the next 3 mos., she was kenneled with Sadie and became attached to her & also developed separation anxiety...on meds even now. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Citrine1. That has been my experience also.  My dogs have lived together for years; some were very chummy.  However when one died nobody else even seem to notice.  There has never been any mourning or any behavior that indicated the deceased dog was missed.  This over a lifetime of having dogs.

@Kachina624  I certainly hope that’s the case with my beagles....just a little precaution. She’s only going once a week for now. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Aww thats sad to think about. But I dont know if daycare days would make a,difference if Molly did miss her buddy. Molly is very cute and that Boston Terrier in the pic. brought back memories of my sweet Boston Terriers. They are a great breed. Love dogs 💞

@MoJoV  We had only 1 dog park and the city closed it because of unsanitary conditions and owners were not watching their dogs who were more aggressive. Molly’s only dog buddies had to “imported” by a few friends who didn’t work during the day. That was rare. She needed to be around other dogs.