Honored Contributor

Re: MOLLY THE BEAGLE BARKING AGAIN

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I always thought it was natural for dogs to protect their area. Some breeds more than others. Shield the dogs vision of passers-by with solid fencing.. it's only doing what comes naturally.  inflicting  behavior modification in this instance seems cruel to me. Putting a square peg in a round hole.

@LizzieInSRQ  We have a HOA that prohibits solid fencing on the street side of your property. Backyards are OK. Molly is trained not to bark in the house unless she has a good reason. There is no way to stop her from barking outside when people w/ their dogs walk by or stop to let the dogs sniff, etc. Children come by after school and put their hands through the wrought iron fence to play w/ the beagles, too. Several couples w/ dogs stop at our corner every night and have a social gathering while Molly's barking trying to get to their dogs. I've asked them to move on to the next house so their dogs are out of sight. As long as their dogs are leashed & controlled, they see no issue, but I receive phone calls re: Molly barking. 

I appreciate your opinions, but to train her not to bark at passing dogs/people, a "collar" seems to be a better solution than crating her. She learns nothing being removed from the situation.

Respected Contributor

Re: MOLLY THE BEAGLE BARKING AGAIN

@ShanusRe: the social gathering outside your door.  Leash up Molly, and go out with her and join the group.  Every night.  See how fast they move on when their little click gets invaded.