Honored Contributor

We put Sadie down a few months ago. She lived a long, happy, quite pampered life, as any pet should. Molly came to us as an 9 wk. old puppy when Sadie was 8 yrs. old. The two beagles slept together, ate and played together. They were inseparable. Molly is now 6. 

As Sadie got older, slowed down, became stricken w/ dementia, etc., Molly took over the mother role. She helped Sadie push open the flap of the doggie door. Followed her outside in case she lost her way back to her ramp.

We were away this weekend and Molly went to their usual kennel, but alone without Sadie for the first time. They always shared an indoor “room” & outdoor run...13” beagles, so plenty of space for a couple. The front desk staff, who had known both beagles since puppies, greeted Molly with welcomed hugs and kisses, treats included, of course. They knew this may be strange for her being alone for the first time. 

Molly had extra walks and play time in her itinerary so less time in the run. We picked her up late yesterday and she had that white tipped tail going 100 mph. She did fine. All my worrying was unfounded, but we “fur mothers” always attach human feelings to our “babies”. 49808949-8ABD-446D-A3FD-6DF2213E6403.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: MOLLY’S FIRST TIME ALONE

Awwwww, such a pretty girl and such a nice picture on the tan cover.  Sets off her beagle colors.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What a beautiful, touching story.  May Sadie rest in peace.  I hope Molly does adjust (she is probably very lonely without Sadie).  Do you plan on getting another puppy?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Awwwww, such a pretty girl and such a nice picture on the tan cover.  Sets off her beagle colors.

@Kachina624    Not to mention the cover protects my sofa and more easily goes in the washer than cushions. 😜 Love her freckles. Thanks. 

Esteemed Contributor

What a darling little dog.  And such a kind little heart, helping her little buddy through tough times.  

Esteemed Contributor

Aw Molly and Sadie were good to each other and they knew when. Molly is beautiful and am so glad she’s adjusting well. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

What a beautiful, touching story.  May Sadie rest in peace.  I hope Molly does adjust (she is probably very lonely without Sadie).  Do you plan on getting another puppy?

Hi @Katcat1 . I’ve had beagles all my life since a young girl, but Sadie and Molly were the first time I’ve had two at once. It’s nice for them, but quite a chore as I get older. I think about training a new puppy, “accidents”, possible furniture chewing, hourly walking. I assume since I’ll be 71 in July, that new puppy could outlive me. 😜

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, I know the feeling.  I will be 75 this summer,  but I am missing my kitty Lily who crossed the Bridge on May 1st.

My DH feels the same way.  The only way I would ever adopt another kitty would be if someone I knew and trusted would make a commitment to take in a new kitty if we both passed or were unable to care for said new kitty.  My mother lived til 90, but there are no guarantees in life.  Our house is so empty now...

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Shanus, I know the feeling.  I will be 75 this summer,  but I am missing my kitty Lily who crossed the Bridge on May 1st.

My DH feels the same way.  The only way I would ever adopt another kitty would be if someone I knew and trusted would make a commitment to take in a new kitty if we both passed or were unable to care for said new kitty.  My mother lived til 90, but there are no guarantees in life.  Our house is so empty now...

@PamfromCT   Yes. It was empty and quiet here after Sadie crossed the rainbow bridge. One beagle is definitely quieter than two. It still seems strange without Sadie and I find all too often I take out two scoops of food from the storage bin forgetting that Sadie’s no longer here. My DS and family have their own big dog and I’d feel it’d be putting anyone on the spot to expect them to take in my pet. I’m a worrier by nature and would assume my “little darling” would end up in a shelter. 

Respected Contributor

How precious is Miss Molly!  A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.

Yes, furbaby moms see their pooches as they would their children - with all the love in the world.  We go to the moon and back for them providing them with a loving, safe and healthy home.

Welcome back!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown